+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 Thread, KMS Activation in Technical; I'm in the same boat. The MS licensing model seems to be an exercise in obfuscation. Here's something I saw ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm in the same boat. The MS licensing model seems to be an exercise in obfuscation.

Here's something I saw yesterday (from here). If you can read that and you're head isn't spinning I'll get you an Edupint.

Can I use my Windows 7 Enterprise Volume Licensing media to reimage an OEM PC licensed for Windows 7 Professional that is not covered by Software Assurance?
    No. Only PCs covered with Software Assurance for the Windows operating system are eligible to have Windows 7 Enterprise installed on them. Windows 7 Enterprise is not available outside Volume Licensing programs, and is therefore not eligible for reimaging.
    So if you have an Enterprise license (as many LEAs will have) you can't reimage a machine that comes off the boat with a heap of cackware on it?
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 20th July 2011 at 10:55 AM.

Thank Post
    In you go to your microsoft licensing portal (Speak to your license suppliers if you dont have access)

https://www.microsoft.com/licensing/...nter/home.aspx

You will be able to view your licensing keys. If you install a KMS key in 2008 r2 it can be used to activate the windows 7 clients once the 25 threshold has been reached(so the first 25 activations will fail) or 5 windows server 2008r2 Remember that the windows 7 clients or 2008 servers will use a DNS service record to find your KMS server.

Office 2010 you need to down load and install a seperate install, only small
    Download Details - Microsoft Download Center - Office 2010 KMS Host License Pack
    and then enter in your office 2010 KMS key.

The MAC keys are designed for the road warrior who does not bring the laptop etc back to the office, the "KMS keys will need to talk" to your KMS server once every 180 days for the MS products to remain activated

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    @RabbieBurns - According to that article, Volume License Windows 7 and Server 2008 have built in keys or KMS keys. By setting up a KMS server, you specify your real VLK and this is when 25 or more machines will 'check in' and activate OK. KMS clients will then check in every 180 days. Is that right?

Thank Post
    just to clarify the 2008r2 KMS key will activate windows 7

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,698 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Could someone clarify, when you've been given a separate VLK for Windows Server 2008, Windows 7 and Office 2010, can these keys be used when setting up a KMS server, or are KMS keys different? Microsoft state the default activation type is KMS and not MAK.

I just find Microsoft's licensing models/security really complicated with no clear answers anywhere online! And I do consider myself quite an advanced IT user
    KMS keys are level based, your Server 2008 key is the one you should use which will activate both 2008 and Windows 7. The Office 2010 KMS is a seporate little app that you download which allows you to add this to your existing KMS server. In this way you can have them all on one server and it is pretty easy once you know what keys to use and where.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    KMS keys are level based, your Server 2008 key is the one you should use which will activate both 2008 and Windows 7. The Office 2010 KMS is a seporate little app that you download which allows you to add this to your existing KMS server. In this way you can have them all on one server and it is pretty easy once you know what keys to use and where.
    So you login to your VL account (which I currently don't have access to) and there are separate VLK for each product and a KMS key?

Thank Post
    I'm using VAMP2.0 and MAK keys for now, after I've got 50 users I'll switch them over using VAMP to KMS. BTW is office 2010 KMS key also require a minimum user count?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,444 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So wait - if there's a 25 min count for a KMS server, how am I meant to plan & test my deployment of Windows 7 using a couple of test machines? Seems a bit of a strange requirement to me anyway o_O

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    So you login to your VL account (which I currently don't have access to) and there are separate VLK for each product and a KMS key?
    There will be a Win Svr 2008 R2 Standard/Enterprise KMS and a Win Svr 2008 R2 Standard/Enterprise MAK entry so that you can choose. Same deal with Windows 7 and Office 2010. The MAK keys have a used count as they get marked off each time you use one.

Basicly there are classes, A, B, C etc which will each activate the products beneath the titled one in the same product line. This means that a Windows 7 KMS will only activate Windows 7 but if you use your Win2k8 KMS key on a 2K8 server it will activate 2k8 and Windows 7. If you have Datacenter 2k8 then that is even higher and will activate all windows versions for that platform.

Office 2010 is a seporate product line and registers a second activation ID in the KMS server to allow it to respond to MS requests for that product line.

Ideally you want to put it on a virtual server so it is nice and portable and if you have enough clients you can setup two of them inside your network to add redundancy.

10. 2 Thanks to SYNACK:

jinnantonnixx (20th July 2011), Michael (20th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    So wait - if there's a 25 min count for a KMS server, how am I meant to plan & test my deployment of Windows 7 using a couple of test machines? Seems a bit of a strange requirement to me anyway o_O
    Thats what MAK keys or the 30 day window before activation are for. I think that the count for Office is 20 and the required count for Server 2008 is 5. This works well on a single virtualised 2k8 Enterprise server as you have one host and four virtuals making 5.

12. Thanks to SYNACK from:

sonofsanta (20th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thats what MAK keys or the 30 day window before activation are for. I think that the count for Office is 20 and the required count for Server 2008 is 5. This works well on a single virtualised 2k8 Enterprise server as you have one host and four virtuals making 5.
    So just install the test machines with MAK, and then roll out with KMS? Shouldn't be too bad then... is the KMS server best as its own VM or will it sit quietly on a WSUS/AV server? (Or does it prefer DC etc.)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    So just install the test machines with MAK, and then roll out with KMS? Shouldn't be too bad then... is the KMS server best as its own VM or will it sit quietly on a WSUS/AV server? (Or does it prefer DC etc.)
    Yes, test with MAK then when you have a fair few setup you can point them at your KMS and boost your count up to the required value quickly.

KMS is really small and you can put it on any server, if you only have a Windows 7 KMS key you can even use it on a Windows 7 box and use that to run KMS but if you have 2K8 then it is better just to install the higher level key and centralise it.

15. Thanks to SYNACK from:

sonofsanta (20th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes, test with MAK then when you have a fair few setup you can point them at your KMS and boost your count up to the required value quickly.

KMS is really small and you can put it on any server, if you only have a Windows 7 KMS key you can even use it on a Windows 7 box and use that to run KMS but if you have 2K8 then it is better just to install the higher level key and centralise it.
    Marvellous - tah muchly!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    SYNACK seems to have a good grasp of this convoluted nonsense.

I may return with a question or twelve.....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @RabbieBurns - According to that article, Volume License Windows 7 and Server 2008 have built in keys or KMS keys. By setting up a KMS server, you specify your real VLK and this is when 25 or more machines will 'check in' and activate OK. KMS clients will then check in every 180 days. Is that right?
    Yep. When I do a new install from my VL media, as soon as it reboots after initial install, it is activated.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast