+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 Thread, Server 2008 & Terminal Services in Technical; Good morning everyone, We have a Server 2008 Terminal Services server in place in our server room that serves SOLELY ...

Thank Post

Server 2008 & Terminal Services

Good morning everyone,

We have a Server 2008 Terminal Services server in place in our server room that serves SOLELY as a TS server. Since it has been set up, it simply hasn't worked correctly at all. I'm turning to Edugeek to see if anyone has any configuration suggestions to get this server behaving properly.

The main issues, are that drives simply decide not to map (seemingly randomly) and IE8 point blank REFUSES to inherit the correct proxy settings that all the other computers on site use perfectly. One student can log in and all the net settings are correct, and another student can log in at the same time and gets nothing. Once the server has been restarted, we see a decrease in these issues until the following day, where everything goes to pot again.

At the moment, the server sits in Active Directory in the same OU as other computers. All the other computers in that OU work totally fine. It's almost as if the server is totally ignoring the policies. Now I have had very little involvement in the delployment of this Server as it was done by by ex-boss who is "no longer an employee of the school".

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this Server refuses to play ball? Are there any other considerations that need to be taken with Server 2008 serving as a TS server? Has anyone else ever implemented Server 2008 as a TS server? I would love to hear some constructive ideas.

Many thanks,

Sven.

Thank Post
    Anything in the event logs? Have you tried running group policy modelling?

3. Thanks to strawberry from:

sven (29th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Nothing of any relevence and no, I haven't done any GPO modelling. I'll take a deeper look at this, thanks.

Thank Post
    Ok, when I set my terminal server up I bought a copy of Windows Server 2008 Terminal Services Resource Kit , this really helped, talks you through setting up the server and other consideration, I have my terminal server in a seperate OU, with some specific Group Policies applied. This give a good overview on how loopback policy works and how to implement it, which in my opinion is pretty critical for a terminal server.

Getting it working well is non trivial in my experience.

6. Thanks to budgester from:

sven (29th March 2011)

Thank Post
    That's great. This whole solution was implemented before my time and my knowledge of Terminal Services isn't bad, but if I'm going to take this project on then some further reading will reallly be of use. Thanks for the suggestions!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by budgester View Post
    Ok, when I set my terminal server up I bought a copy of Windows Server 2008 Terminal Services Resource Kit , this really helped, talks you through setting up the server and other consideration, I have my terminal server in a seperate OU, with some specific Group Policies applied. This give a good overview on how loopback policy works and how to implement it, which in my opinion is pretty critical for a terminal server.

Getting it working well is non trivial in my experience.
    Just out of curiosity, what kind of policies do you apply to the OU that you don't apply else where?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread