+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 Thread, Sharepoint 2007 in Technical; hopefully soon, pencil pushing i.e. head of IT in private got a few interviews lined up...

Thank Post
    hopefully soon, pencil pushing i.e. head of IT in private got a few interviews lined up

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jc1875 View Post
    On the list settings, you should also see the option to edit own items (not list permissions or site settings, but list settings - confused me the first time.), advanced settings, then in item-level permissions.

(note that this is for lists - document libraries dont have this feature)
    This is how I believed it was done. However when I go into the list, and go to list settings (by clicking on the list, then settings, list settings) I look under a column with the header of "General Settings" there is an option for advanced settings, however there is nothing about editing your own items....... am I looking in the wrong place?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    Hey!

I'm glad to see your having so much fun with SharePoint! It really is a fun service to be playing with hehe! *wait's for the sleepless nights!*

Anyway, I was just wondering why you are using MOSS2007 and not SP2010

James.
    I'm already having sleepless nights, I wake up in the middle of the night either in a cold sweat or shouting Eureka as I've just worked out in my head why a list won't display the way I want it to!

To be honest, there's no real reason why I've chosen MOSS2007 over SP2010. Thinking about it, I'm tempted to upgrade to SP2010, but do you know if a template site created in 2007 will be usable in 2010?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain.Faulkner View Post
    I'm already having sleepless nights, I wake up in the middle of the night either in a cold sweat or shouting Eureka as I've just worked out in my head why a list won't display the way I want it to!

To be honest, there's no real reason why I've chosen MOSS2007 over SP2010. Thinking about it, I'm tempted to upgrade to SP2010, but do you know if a template site created in 2007 will be usable in 2010?
    As you might now .stp files no longer exist in SharePoint 2010 .wsp so the following should help you out.

1. First you need to create a site in SharePoint 2007 using your .stp template.
    2. Then, backup the database for that site and restore it on SharePoint 2010 enviornment.
    3. After you do that just Open up the site and fix any issues ( like 12 hive refrencing files etc).
    4. Now, you can Save this Site (from Settings page -> Save as Template) and it will give you a .wsp solution for the site.
    This solution can then be re-used as a Site Template.

Side Note – If you want to deploy this Site template solution as a farm you will need to open the above .wsp solution in VS 2010 and
    change the Scope as “Farm”.
    The upgrade from SP2007 to SP2010 is very good to be honest, i have not heard of people having many issues during the upgrade unless there farm was shafted before hand. :-)

For Reference: Learning SharePoint » Upgrading Sharepoint 2007 Customizations to SharePoint 2010

^ You may wish to have a look at that site, covers all the points when upgrading (things to be aware of etc.)

James.

5. Thanks to EduTech from:

Iain.Faulkner (23rd March 2011)

Thank Post
    Took the plunge and upgraded to Sharepoint 2010.

Although I've taken a backup of the site I was building, I'm starting again from scratch (as I believe the experience will do me good).

I do have one issue though (alongside my ongoing issue with not being able to set permissions as mentioned previously!), I no longer seem to be able to do any work in Sharepoint Designer (I am currenty running 2007 though so I don't know if that's the cause). It's telling me that editing using SPD is disabled in my site...... any suggestions? I've checked the central administration site and it looks like it's all enabled.

Thank Post
    Took the plunge and upgraded to Sharepoint 2010.

Although I've taken a backup of the site I was building, I'm starting again from scratch (as I believe the experience will do me good).

I do have one issue though (alongside my ongoing issue with not being able to set permissions as mentioned previously!), I no longer seem to be able to do any work in Sharepoint Designer (I am currenty running 2007 though so I don't know if that's the cause). It's telling me that editing using SPD is disabled in my site...... any suggestions? I've checked the central administration site and it looks like it's all enabled.
    I do sharepoint with AD groups i.e. spEnglishTeachers

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by irsprint84 View Post
    I do sharepoint with AD groups i.e. spEnglishTeachers
    Download SharePoint Designer 2010: Download details: Microsoft SharePoint Designer 2010 (32-bit)

It's FREE

9. Thanks to EduTech from:

Iain.Faulkner (5th April 2011)

Thank Post
    Ok, back to this :-)

In 2007, I could use interactive buttons to call the new form for a particular list. In 2010, I do not have the option of using "interactive buttons" only asp.net or html. As I've said before, I am a complete newbie to this sort of thing and I have no idea how to set up the events on a button to get it to do what I want....any suggestions?

Thank Post
    Forget my previous post on this, I've managed to work through that problem :-)

Back to my list of other items to sort on my site

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jc1875 View Post
    On the list settings, you should also see the option to edit own items (not list permissions or site settings, but list settings - confused me the first time.), advanced settings, then in item-level permissions.

(note that this is for lists - document libraries dont have this feature)
    Still trying to get my head round this.

I'm trying to set Item Level Permissions in Sharepoint 2010 using this method, but when I access the area, I do not see anything relating to item level permissions (see attached screenshot, apologies for the size)....am I doing something really thick? Do I need to install an add in or something?

Item Level Permissions.jpg

Thank Post

14. Thanks to sukh from:

Iain.Faulkner (5th April 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sukh View Post
    Hi Sukh, thanks for that. Unfortunately the video you posted relates to Document Libraries (which don't have item level permissions available out of the box) whereas I'm trying to fathom out why I can't set these permissions on a list (something which should be available out of the box).

In addition, I'm also trying to work out a way to redirect users when they submit a form. On clicking the submit button they are sent to the main list view, whereas I'd like to have them redirected back to the homepage of the site? Hope this makes sense, any help anyone can provide will be gratefully received as always.

Iain

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    In addition, I'm also trying to work out a way to redirect users when they submit a form. On clicking the submit button they are sent to the main list view, whereas I'd like to have them redirected back to the homepage of the site? Hope this makes sense, any help anyone can provide will be gratefully received as always.
    You can re-direct the users to another page after they submit a form, you need to modify the URL on the submit button so that it submits the data and then redirects them to another page or/ home page.

I don't access to my SP2010 box at the moment, so if you can post the string that you see when clicking the submit button.. should be able to work out the one you need to replace it with.

*replace domain info with demo domain.

James.

Thank Post
    Still trying to get my head round this.

I'm trying to set Item Level Permissions in Sharepoint 2010 using this method, but when I access the area, I do not see anything relating to item level permissions (see attached screenshot, apologies for the size)....am I doing something really thick? Do I need to install an add in or something?

Item Level Permissions.jpg
    Hi Iain

The item-level permissions section should be between content types, and attchments.
    What kind of list did you create?
    What version of sharepoint is it? (Foundation, Standard, Enterprise)?

18. Thanks to jc1875 from:

Iain.Faulkner (8th April 2011)

Thank Post
    @Iain -

I have been shown and told to do the following.
    Pre-requisties.
    1: You must be an owner of the site (i.e. content hierachy access and above)

Steps:
    1: Open the document Library
    2: Click Settings, LIST Settings (or Document Library Settings)
    3: Click PERMISSIONS FOR THIS LIST
    4: A list of users is displayed who have access to the content. If you only see ACTIONS the security is inherited from the site. You will need to override this by clicking ACTIONS, then EDIT permissions
    5: Click NEW, ADD USERS
    6: Enter the users and grant the appropriate access
    7: Click OK

Sukh

20. Thanks to sukh from:

Iain.Faulkner (8th April 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast