+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 Thread, Permissions Issue - hidden folder in Technical; My teachers now have video cameras and yesterday I was asked if I could set up a shared folder. I ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Permissions Issue - hidden folder

My teachers now have video cameras and yesterday I was asked if I could set up a shared folder. I did this on the \\curriculum\users$\staff\video clips folder and through Group Policy pushed out an icon for it to staff desktops.

The deputy Head tells me today that this has worked but when the folder is open in Explorer he has found that (logged on as any member of staff) by deleting video clips from the end of the bar and replacing it with a given staff members name it allows full access to that staff members home folders on the server.

I'm thinking I need to have the video clips folder set up on the normal share instead and change the path on Group Policy to point to it but what can I do to tighten down so that only the correct staff have access to their individual folders please.

Thank Post
    Hi

See The default permissions for home folders in Windows Server 2003 and in Windows 2000 are different. This should help you.

See the other KB's in this article.

I assume you are using 2003?

Regards
    Sukh

3. Thanks to sukh from:

speckytecky (12th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Sukh,

It's 2008.

Examining further the DH demonstrated to me in his Windows 7 Explorer that by conducting a search on any name - he used his own, resulted in all documents for that given person being displayed and accessible. That's all documents not only on the server but also on client PCs. Gulp!

Checking the permissions on the server folder I found they had been altered. Looks like one of our little darlings has been 'active' - got a fair idea which one it was and he is under investigation. Hopefully I will be back with an update on the flaw he found that gave access - obviously having view of an Administrator password being the first thought.

Server now off LAN and the chap who installed it (this guy is a Server Wizard and I know he set it up right in the first place and has the in depth experience to sort it) is working on fixing the problem first thing on Monday.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread