+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 Thread, Online Backup in Technical; Can anyone recommend a good online backup solution. School want to come away from tape backups....

Thank Post

Online Backup

Can anyone recommend a good online backup solution. School want to come away from tape backups.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Can you afford to hold 50TB upwards with one of these companies.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi,

How big are your backups at this moment in time? and how many servers do you have?

Do you require mailbox level restore? so individual mailbox items?

James.

Thank Post
    What happens *if* your internet connection fails? Do you have the bandwidth to backup lots of data and restore lots of data? Do you want really want your MIS data just backed up in the cloud?

Thank Post
    It is a primary school so not too much data, 1 Server, Shared directories are around 30GB and then exchange and SIMS/FMS so max of about 45GB. As far as I understand it backs up everything 1st time then only backs up changes thereafter so bandwith should not be a problem. Do you not recommend this then?

As regard internet connection failing...this is the same as a tape failing for any particular evening so as long as it does not go down for more than 1 day I am sure this will be OK.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    What happens *if* your internet connection fails? Do you have the bandwidth to backup lots of data and restore lots of data? Do you want really want your MIS data just backed up in the cloud?
    If the right solution is put forward it can be done as follows:

1x Network Attached Storage Device on your LOCAL LAN
    1x Space in Data Center via Remote Backup Company

If you were to backup your MIS System then make sure that such company meet certain standards in regards to encryption.

THEY SHOULD! ask for a SEED of the data to an Hard Disk which would then be transported to a data center or/ remote location which would then save transferring 500GB Data + over the internet in the first instance. and then ONLY CHANGE would be uploaded to the server there on. You would not ever restore from there unless something happened to the local storage.

If your internet connection should then fail it would still backup to the local device, likewise if you should need to do a restore it would use the local device first oppose to the remote location.

If the software works right it should compress the data properly meaning you should not need so much in regards to disk space.

James.

Thank Post
    1x Network Attached Storage Device on your LOCAL LAN
    That is the point I was getting at James. I'd definately considor having something on site, in a different location, as well as your remote backup.

Thank Post
    If you buy a Netgear ReadyNAS, it has a built in online backup solution with www.vaultservices.net.

So basically you back everything up to the ReadyNAS device, and in the background it backs up its files online... about £150 per year for 50GB.

I'd recommend it.

9. 3 Thanks to prad:

SimpleSi (11th March 2011), superfletch (8th March 2011), zag (29th June 2011)

Thank Post
    thanks Prad, any recommendation on which Netgear to use.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    That is the point I was getting at James. I'd definately considor having something on site, in a different location, as well as your remote backup.
    The only problem I have with a NAS drive is that if the school goes up in flames so does the drive as it is not offsite and could be prone to theft.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by boogster View Post
    The only problem I have with a NAS drive is that if the school goes up in flames so does the drive as it is not offsite and could be prone to theft.
    If you have the NAS on-site but have the remote backup then it obviously would not matter if the school went up in flames?

James.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 626 Posts
    Data Backup Services, Secure Online PC & Laptop Backup, London, Cambridge, Essex

Is what I have setup for our school [ last major thing I wanted in place before I left ] - good prices [ if you haggle with them ] and good support.

They have a Edu type backup for schools:

Education Remote Data Backup

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,967 Times in 2,182 Posts
    You should definitely take a look at CrashPlan. The standard version lets you perform on-site and off-site backups for free if you supply the storage. As an example, you could install the software on a computer at your school and at another school down the road (or even the other side of your county), and then sync your data between them. Likewise, they can do the same if they have anything to backup (but obviously in the other direction).

The software encrypts and de-duplicates your data so you don't have to worry about data protection issues or servers located outside of the EU, and it will also allow to you pre-seed your backup so you won't have to spend days/weeks/months waiting for 45GBs worth of data to be transferred over the Internet. For extra redundancy you do have the option of backing to their servers for a small annual fee.

15. 3 Thanks to Arthur:

carvjo (9th March 2011), SimpleSi (11th March 2011), superfletch (8th March 2011)

Thank Post
    We used to have online backup service, and it was a nightmare to deal with, ensuring that it was working properly every night. I think that if you have the local copy then a remote like everybody says it can be alright. There is a company i woulnd't recommend but would prefer not to post publicy as they failed to monitor our service accurately even though they were charging a fortune.

Skr

Thank Post
    The consensus seems to be that Disc to Disc to Cloud (D2D2C) is the ideal solution.

I would say second to this is Disc to Disc to USB drive.

D2D2T is good too, but backup tapes aren't ideal these days.

Thanks,

Bruce.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast