+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Server 2008 Thread, Online Backup in Technical; I always wonder how you manage the online backups. I assume you do a full backup and then incrementals ever ...

Thank Post
    I always wonder how you manage the online backups. I assume you do a full backup and then incrementals ever after - as I can't see how you would upload a couple of Tb on a regular basis unless you've got SERIOUS connectivity - so what happens when you want a particular file from 18 months ago?

Thank Post
    @SpuffMonkey

Most data centre online backup services will offer you a 30 day recovery of data (versioning) (effectively they are providing you with 30 days of Previous Versions. In general you would make a single full backup of your data and thereafter new and changed data is uploaded and depending on what your requirements are and which provider you use you can do multiple backups per day on this basis and some will do a backup as you write option. They can be expensive but we are looking at backing up around 2050Gb of data from our network which would cost in the region of £1200 per month but this again is dependent upon which provider you use, the cost could be even less.

I don't buy this, what if your internet connection goes down scenario, I think the worst option would be if your onsite backup was burnt to a cinder then the poo would hit the preverbial. We currently back to disk on the same site but in an alternative location that is deemed fireproof but is it really?

I'll add to this when I have gone through the process and advise how it all went.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Try Andy at Gigasoft decent price for us should be very good value if you've only got 45GB to backup.

Wes

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Their software can and will make backups locally as well if the internet connection is down for anytime. If you need restored files you can access them from anywhere with a internet connection so you could restore them over a 3G connection for instance if you needed everything they'll ship a hdd to you for next day.

Wes

Thank Post
    This is an interesting one... if you backup to cloud and using virtual servers would you...

a) back up all your VMs whole to local disk then to cloud for complete recovery of servers and data
    b) back up your VMs to local disk then do a separate backup job just for data and send that to cloud. Downside being if you lose your site recovery time will be somewhat longer to rebuild the servers

Personally I'd feel more comfortable with a) but does come at a cost for the storage, need to do some comparisons with the cost of a new tape drive I guess.

The other issue is Internet speed, ours is 10Mb JANET but not sure how quick that's going to work out sending GBs of data for the backup jobs...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,650 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    What happens *if* your internet connection fails? Do you have the bandwidth to backup lots of data and restore lots of data? Do you want really want your MIS data just backed up in the cloud?
    Our MIS and email is in the cloud so if the cloud is inaccesible so is that.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,650 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    I always wonder how you manage the online backups. I assume you do a full backup and then incrementals ever after - as I can't see how you would upload a couple of Tb on a regular basis unless you've got SERIOUS connectivity - so what happens when you want a particular file from 18 months ago?
    Most online software runs cdp you do an initial full seed and then you upload the changed deltas after that so like an intelligent incremental if you like.

Most online providers will have the option to do the initial seed to a portable hard drive that you can then courier to them after that changed deltas are quite small.

Retention times are based on how much storage you buy into I guess.

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12