+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 Thread, Weird Printer Deployment Issue in Technical; Hi, We have one printer within the school that we deploy to the students/staff. I was deploying it to the ...
    Thank Post

Weird Printer Deployment Issue

Hi,

We have one printer within the school that we deploy to the students/staff. I was deploying it to the users via the Print Management console in server 2008. All was fine until we decided to update the driver to the lastest version to try and iron out some printing issues.

However i tried to take the printer off the students until we had finished working on it so we wouldn't get them coming to us saying its not printing for them.

So i took the assignment out of print management and next time they logged on it wasn't there. however now that the printer is fixed i wanted to give it back to them and using the same method i redeployed it to the students. Guess what it won't shoe up for them on their print list.

The deployment for the staff is still there and they are using the printer happily.

It seems to me that because i told it to remove the printer from the students that it tries to add the printer on logon and then takes it off again.

You can see when a student is logging on it says" Deploying Printer Connections"

Anyone had this issue?

Thank Post
    try adding it with a different name (so install it on the server a 2nd time new name new share name)

Thank Post
    Hi

Can you create a temp OU with a user and computer in there and create a new GPO and test.

Then use same policy to and assign to students. Login as user and see if the GPO has been applied.

Let me know how that goes and then we can troubleshoot further.

Thank Post
    Yes i've done this and it works fine and the students can print to the printer. However we have a piece of software which is a follow me print solution and it requires the printer to have a specific name.

Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    try adding it with a different name (so install it on the server a 2nd time new name new share name)
    ___

I have also done this and if i logon to the laptop as a student then i get no printer. If a member of staff logons to the same machine it maps the printer no problem. It all started when i took the mapping off the students and wanted to reassign it and now its stopped assigning.. Even though i can see it in the group policy..

Quote Originally Posted by sukh View Post
    Hi

Can you create a temp OU with a user and computer in there and create a new GPO and test.

Then use same policy to and assign to students. Login as user and see if the GPO has been applied.

Let me know how that goes and then we can troubleshoot further.

Thank Post
    Hi

So, using a standard GPO works fine On this test OU without the 3rd party tool?

Regards
    Sukh

Thank Post
    Yes but not for a student although i see the printer deployment in the policy i set it against. I should also add i re-imaged a machine so it was fresh and still it wont deploy to a student group. Even if i try to add the printer manually through the directory but it fails to connect.

There must be something wrong with the printer on the print server surely.

Thank Post
    Hi

OK, so using the test OU allows you to deploy the printer via a NEW GPO to the staff but not students WITHOUT the 3rd party intergration?

Let me know if the issue is still around or not.

Thanks
    Sukh

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread