+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 Thread, server migration 2003-2008, advice needed in Technical; 2K8 can view the .admx GP settings, so should give you the functionality you need. I would always recommend going ...

Thank Post
    2K8 can view the .admx GP settings, so should give you the functionality you need. I would always recommend going to 2K8 R2 if possible though. BTW, don't compare 2008 'standard' and R2 - R2 is not a different version of the same OS, it's a new OS altogether. It's not as similar as 2K3 and 2K3 R2.

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jjohnsoncantell View Post
    both the dcs are 2k3 at the mo but theyre being rebuilt to 2k8 so that i can run windows 7 clients with the full features... Thinking about it, will i loose any functionality on the windows 7 clients if im running 2008 std as opposed to 2008R2 on the dcs? Im guessing i wont since 7 is essentially vista anyways but i want to be sure.
    No you wont.

Thank Post
    sweet, thanks...

am i right in saying that the forest/domain functional level only affects the domain controllers? Should i be able to put the domain level upto 2008 server after i have upgraded both dcs? I wont have any problme with the rest of the member servers being 2003 will i?

Thank Post
    hi guys,

What gains will i have with 2k8R2 over 2K8 vanilla? Or is it really not a problem if im not virtuallising ?
    R2 versus plain old W2K8?

As far as domain controllers go, you would gain the Active Directory recycle bin, native PowerShell cmdlets for Active Directory (native as opposed to the ones by 3rd party Quest) and some other things that may not justify a rebuild - or the expense of acquiring brand new 64 bit hardware (see below). If you've been managing AD on W2K3 without PS all this time, I rather doubt using it now is crucial.

Second, do you know if the servers you want to upgrade are in fact 64 bit compatible? Some members have mentioned how they've got W2K8 to run on servers that are quite old. Some older servers may not be able to run a 64 bit OS to start with.

Thank Post
    sweet, thanks...

am i right in saying that the forest/domain functional level only affects the domain controllers? Should i be able to put the domain level upto 2008 server after i have upgraded both dcs? I wont have any problme with the rest of the member servers being 2003 will i?
    It's only the DCs that matter here - you can still have older server OSs as members.

6. Thanks to 3s-gtech from:

jjohnsoncantell (4th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Hi

Ensure that you don't have applications that reply on Windows 2003 DC, like Exchange 2003/2000, Blackberry and OCS 2007 R2.

Regards
    Sukh

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Why not just use a workstation as a new DC?

Then transfer the master role to that temporarily.

Wipe the old DC01 and do a re-install, promote it.

Then just transfer the roles back.

This is the recommended Microsoft way I think.
    This is what we have done, worked fine. Second time round! We wanted to have the new server's name the same as the old one and didn't do the renaming properly, had to reinstall the new server from scratch!

Thank Post
    We now have a 64bit 2008 running with a 32bit 2008 hyper-v for the print server.

We took a copy of the main server onto a machine from our shop with vmware and copied everything from that across to the new one. This was helpful in that we could have an untouched copy of the server before any changes, then took incremental snapshots as we made changes.

Thank Post
    Sorry guys, been on holiday... Thanks for the replies.. How did it go wrong llama? i want to keep the same name too, what is the best way to go about the renaming?

Thank Post
    Guys, forgive me for being thicker than the offspring of a village idiot and a tv weather girl (to quote red warf) but should i be able to to add a 2008 r2 server as a member server to my 2003 domain without having to upgrade the schema? I will not be running it as a dc it will be strictly sql sims server only.

Thank Post
    You will need to update the schema (if you've never had a 2008 R2 server before), you won't need to upgrade the functional level. Upgrading the schema is very easy and painless - why not do it?

Edit: didn't read post properly! No, if it's not a DC you don't need to touch the schema.
    Last edited by 3s-gtech; 7th March 2011 at 02:24 PM.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Guys, forgive me for being thicker than the offspring of a village idiot and a tv weather girl (to quote red warf) but should i be able to to add a 2008 r2 server as a member server to my 2003 domain without having to upgrade the schema? I will not be running it as a dc it will be strictly sql sims server only.
    Yes you can.

Thank Post
    Sorry guys, been on holiday... Thanks for the replies.. How did it go wrong llama? i want to keep the same name too, what is the best way to go about the renaming?
    Hope you had a good time, we seem to be almost sorted here. When we renamed the new server you have to give it a second name and then promote that name to primary and then remove the secondary (old) name. That way everything can keep on working. hmmm let me find the site I used...

this looks like the one, this Petri site is full of good stuff
    Rename Windows Server 2008 Domain Controllers

hope thats some help there!

Thank Post
    I did my DC's to 2008 the other day, there is a really good MS whitepaper on it, which when i get in to the office i will find and link post the link. It was remarkably painless, although in our case i had 3x 2003 DC's (1 of them 64bit) and a spare(?) server. The 32Bit servers were DNS & DHCP and one of them also runs the backup software. In order to get everything to work properly i also needed to get the new servers onto the IP's of the old servers ... Oh and i did it on a live network, although it was half term we still had approx 100 staff in.

The process we followed was

Install spare server as 2008 R2
    Perform the AD schema updates (used the 32 bit version from the r2 CD and ran it on the existing server holding Schema Master FSMO role)
    Wait for AD to Replicate
    DCPromo on the new server
    In place upgrade on the 64Bit 2003 DC
    Install DNS both 2008
    Point Pri DNS on the 4 DC's to OLDDC02
    Change IP of OLDDC01, do ipconfig /registerDNS and stop/start NETLOGON service
    Change IP of NEWDC01 do ipconfig/registerdns and stop/start NETLOGON service
    Move FSMO roles to NEWDC01
    Demote OLDDC01
    Change Pri DNS of 3x DC's to NEWDC01
    Install DHCP on NEWDC02
    do netsh DHCP Server Export all <filename> on OLDDC02
    stop DHCP on OLDDC02
    Change IP of OLDDC02 run ipconfig/registerdns and stop/start netlogon service
    Change IP of NEWDC02 run ipconfig /registerdns and stop/start netlogon service
    do netsh DHCP Server import all <filename> on NEWDC02
    Dcpromo OLDDC02

The only pain i had was that somehow one of the new DC's managed to get DNS forwarders that didn't work, causing some problems with delivering outbound email. and i had to install WINS again for some shortnames to work.

Skr

Thank Post
    Had a good time thanks llama. How do you give a server a second name? never done that or even realised it was possible.. Thanks for the walkthrough skreem, it will be most heklpful when i do this next week.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast