+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 Thread, Windows Server 2008 Continuous Reboot Problem after Update in Technical; Just a heads up really. Last night I VPN'd into my servers to perform the Windows Updates. I always do ...

Thank Post

Windows Server 2008 Continuous Reboot Problem after Update

Just a heads up really. Last night I VPN'd into my servers to perform the Windows Updates. I always do this from home over night so they can reboot and I've had 100% success until last night...

We've got 6 servers all Win2k8 x64, 2 of which are DC's

I restarted them and went to reconnect only I couldn't. 3 of the server's wasn't coming back on properly. I could remote into my Win2k3 server then try RDP into the other servers with no joy yet I could ping them. I remotely viewed the services of the problem servers but I couldn't change them. The ping's would then fail and come back online suggesting the servers are rebooting themselves.

I left them for 30mins hoping they are configuring updates and rebooting. That's exactly what they're doing and have been doing all night. I come in at 7 expecting the worst. The servers was "applying computer settings", then comes up "Wait for the Windows Modules Installer" then "Configuring updates 0%" after which it reboots.

Fortunately I'd written down EMBC's DNS servers and was able to connect to the internet to find solutions.

W2K8 continuously rebots after Windows Update

I followed "Method 3" mentioned. It bypasses the Configuring Updates. It's enabled me to login to the console and bring back all the services so the schools functioning.

My concern now is...

-What update caused this?
    -By renaming the pending.xml file, I doubt I can install roles / features as they normally require a restart and configuring on boot.
    -The servers not affected by this that booted normally have more updates available. I'm worried these might be waiting to install the problematic update and cause those to loop too.

I'm in the process of going through logs in an attempt to solve this. I'll keep you posted just in case you guys ever have the same problem.

Thanks

Thank Post
    The 'daylight saving in some or other obscure locations' update casued this problem for me (can't tell you the exact name or KB though). I removed it and blocked it in WSUS as it's not necessary in the UK anyway.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,323 Times in 812 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You're not running AVG on them are you?

apparently there was an update last night which caused this to win7 and 2k8 r2 boxes

Thank Post
    Hey! Thanks for the heads up with regards to the day light savings. I'll have a look first thing Monday morning. I've gone through various logs and also submitted a case to the Microsoft Update team. Nope we're running the latest release of Sophos which has caused various issues for us. They seem to pick up pretty much any program as suspicious or hacking tool and plays havoc with Ranger for Networks. We've had to block sophos from scanning the SoftwareDistribution folder but having said that, we've found it doesn't always respect that and scans it anyway. Same for Ranger, we was told to add various exe files and directories into the exceptions list which worked for 90% of the workstations, but sometimes Sophos still prevents users from logging in!! Argg..

Thank Post
    @timzim - Having had this issue before, how did you resolve it? I mean, we're now wondering whether or not future updates will work properly. I've got a guide on how to reset Windows Update in the hope that'll put everything back to normal.

Thanks!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by techyphil View Post
    @timzim - Having had this issue before, how did you resolve it? I mean, we're now wondering whether or not future updates will work properly. I've got a guide on how to reset Windows Update in the hope that'll put everything back to normal.

Thanks!
    I rolled back to pre-update stage - used safe mode and removed all updates applied on a particular date, making a note of KB number of each update. Then applied each one separately until the problem recurred. Appears to have happened to others as I found a few posts describing the same problem with the same update. Fortunately, I tend to test new updates with one server first. I'd love the luxury of a test server, which I guess would be best practice, but I have neither the time nor the spare kit.

If you use WSUS for your updates it should be easy enough to block the particular update (actual update which caused me the problem is KB2158563). You can also hide the update on each server so it never installs again.

7. Thanks to timzim from:

techyphil (6th December 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread