+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 Thread, terminal server lics in Technical; right finally got 5 ts user cals on one of my test setups. installed the ts cals and set mode ...

Thank Post

terminal server lics

right finally got 5 ts user cals on one of my test setups. installed the ts cals and set mode accordingly but even though i only have 5 cals i can get 6 users connected is this normal and if so is there anyway i can make it say to user 6 on your bike on deny them access? (though i would need some timeout policy on inactive sessions but i might solve that one the quick way by scheduling a nightly reboot)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,129 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    right finally got 5 ts user cals on one of my test setups. installed the ts cals and set mode accordingly but even though i only have 5 cals i can get 6 users connected is this normal and if so is there anyway i can make it say to user 6 on your bike on deny them access? (though i would need some timeout policy on inactive sessions but i might solve that one the quick way by scheduling a nightly reboot)
    not sure about the licensing stuff but there is a gpo which you can apply to logout inactive session

computer confi/administrative templates/windows componetns/ remote desktop services/remote desktop session host/session timeouts limits

Thank Post
    in 2008 user licences can be exceeded. Microsoft just ask that you have purchased a sensible amount to cover usage. A bit grey but it mightmean that you dont have to enforce the 5 users rigidly.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
    in 2008 user licences can be exceeded. Microsoft just ask that you have purchased a sensible amount to cover usage. A bit grey but it mightmean that you dont have to enforce the 5 users rigidly.
    damn i WANT to enforce it as atm the ts is a fairly poor spec granted its a vm and im testing so more ram is easy (atm it has 512mb lol)and from the outside world the school only has 1.5mb upload. Also if i limit it to 5 concurrent users i assume i only need 5 office lics which is where it starts to get expensive as aparantly open office wont do sigh

Thank Post
    IIRC you also get a grace period before licensing is enforced so that you can perform testing. There is also a tick box in the user properties page that allows you to deny users access to RDS (I've never tried this though).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    IIRC you also get a grace period before licensing is enforced so that you can perform testing. There is also a tick box in the user properties page that allows you to deny users access to RDS (I've never tried this though).
    yup 120 days grace but thats now run out its not so much about blocking specific users as only allowing a set number on at any one time

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread