I will state the problem first, then the information I have.
The problem is that seemingly intermittently a single computer will lose connection to the server. It's a single computer at a time, but it's not the same one every time. The server is a SBS '08, and we run redirected user folders. So, when a user loses the server connection they lose access to their documents, desktop, and the only DNS in the domain. In other words, can't work at all.
When the server is pinged, it times out. When any other computer on the network is pinged (or even known external IPs such as 220.127.116.11) it goes through without a flaw.
It will resolve itself in anywhere from 10 to 45 minutes, and I cannot expedite this to my knowledge.
There are no tell-tale event logs on the clients (just things like our databse program not being able to see the database). On the server, the only errors are DCOM errors. The first registers that:
"DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer <Computer X> using any of the configured protocols."
DCOM got error "2147944122" from the computer <Computer X> when attempting to activate the server:
I can't find any reason why this would stop the ability for the client to communicate, but it happens at roughly the time that the client loses connection, and the first one continues to happen on regular intervals until the connection is restored.
Also, the second error happens even when there is no problem.
Recap: Client loses all connection to the server, but not to anything else. Possibly something related to DCOM, but I have no idea. Problem resolves itself within the hour.
I fixed this a while ago, but I figured I should share the solution. It was a DNS issue, there were more than one entry for each computer that had been having problems.
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)