+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 Thread, A Second Domain/Network on the same subnet in Technical; Hi Guys. I am after some advice I have just procured a shiny new server to start building a brand ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

A Second Domain/Network on the same subnet

Hi Guys. I am after some advice

I have just procured a shiny new server to start building a brand new network with. The existing server installations here have a few problems (dating back before my time!) that make me think that I should start afresh with a new domain and gradually move users and services across to it. The timescale here is about 5 months to do the job. (Month one & two for the planning/build/testing, 3 for training/documentation/ 4 for rollout and 5 for stabilization).

It is the first time I have had the chance to build from the ground up whilst migrating and the first issue that I have thought of would be how to move DHCP from the old servers to a new one.

My first thought was that I could (for a short period), assign static IP's to all machines so that they continue to see the old domain and use it's dns, whilst bringing up a new dhcp instance on the new server (the static addresses would be excluded from the range). Is there a better way of doing this?

I will then create a trust between two two domains to allow for access to information!

Thank Post
    You could just use the 1 DHCP server until you switch the old one off at which point you'd just need to ensure that all reservations/exclusions are in place and then just switch off the old and authorise the new one - when clients next need to get an IP address they'll get assigned an address from the new server. As long as the old DHCP server gives out both DNS servers to clients you should be fine.

3. Thanks to Jamman960 from:

Mr.Ben (7th October 2010)

Thank Post
    another idea you could do

Make your scope on the old domain a bit smaller and that way you can get a scope running on the second domain, has you have some spare ip address

5. Thanks to pritchardavid from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Instead of using static addresses use DHCP reservation on both servers so that you can migrate only those machines you want across, when you want to.

7. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, I have done this in the past for a demo environment. All you have to make sure is you don't have 2 DHCP Servers on the network dishing out IP's as you know you'll get problems

Have Fun!

James.

9. Thanks to EduTech from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the suggestions - I've gone with DHCP reservations as the plan so a big thanks to Tony for reminding me that I can do that!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To be honest, I prefer folk to use DHCP reservations anyway ... it allows for a better audit trail if something should go wrong and someone needs to investigate something.

Thank Post
    I agree. I would use reservations.

Thank Post
    I would not. My approach would be to create a new DHCP server and allocate a new range to it, and allow both to work in redundant parallel for a while. Then you gradually reduce the range available to the original server so that clients transition off it onto the new one - eventually all of them, and then you can decommission the old server and increase the address space available to the new one.

You have to do this over a period of several (my rule is 20) N, where N is your lease time. If you just pull the carpet out from under one server, you leave clients thinking they have leases while in fact the new server is allocating the same addresses to someone else, and you get ugly collisions.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamman960 View Post
    You could just use the 1 DHCP server until you switch the old one off at which point you'd just need to ensure that all reservations/exclusions are in place and then just switch off the old and authorise the new one - when clients next need to get an IP address they'll get assigned an address from the new server. As long as the old DHCP server gives out both DNS servers to clients you should be fine.
    And during the transition, duplicate addresses will be allocated. This is an unsafe approach.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread