+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 Thread, 2008 Terminal Server & Thin Clients in Technical; Hi, We have about 60 thin client pc's (running thinstation) connecting to a server 2008 terminal server. Users have recently ...

Thank Post

2008 Terminal Server & Thin Clients

Hi,

We have about 60 thin client pc's (running thinstation) connecting to a server 2008 terminal server.

Users have recently been unable to plug a usb pen drive (or portable hard drive) into a usb socket on the thin client and get access to it.

This redirection used to work, same with audio redirection!

All the drive / audio redirection settings are correct in group policy, and also in the terminal server config / setup / management options.

Anybody have any clues as to whats gone wrong?

Thank Post
    Can you show us your thinstation config file? Sounds like local storage is either disabled or not being passed in rdesktop.

Thank Post
    unfortunately i am not back in school until tomorrow morning. it has worked in the past and no configuration has changed as far as i know. I'm a bit new to this, where do i find the thinstation config file?

Cheers,
    Stephen

Thank Post
    Something will have changed as much as we think it hasn't, this kind of issue won't have just magically happened so we need to find out where.

The config could be in several places, if you are dishing up the boot image via pxe you might find it in the tftp root directory thinstation.network.conf or it might be included in the image itself.

Tell us a bit more about the set up and I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it.

Kim

Thank Post
    Where will I find the tftp root directory? Sorry, I'm going to need a few basics here!

The thin clients themselves are some very basic school built machines. Having installed a few myself, they are firstly formatted / booted via a usb drive which drops an image onto the hard drive of the thin client.

After the installation, when the thin client is booted, it displays the post, then the thinstation screen, then connects straight to the 2008 terminal server at the user login prompt..

Thank Post
    just discovered the instructions on the bosses blog! how useful! He's away on holiday by the way, and i have students pestering me to make it work!

can you point me in the right direction to check this out?

Just sorted sound and USB device access with my ThinStation deployment.

"I inserted the following lines to the thinstation.conf.buildtime file and it all started to work.

USB_STORAGE_SYNC=On
    USB_MOUNT_DIR=”/mnt/usbdevice”
    SESSION_0_RDESKTOP_OPTIONS=”-r
    disk:USBDrive=/mnt/usbdevice -r sound:local”

Make sure too that you have the necessary modules included for storage device and USB access in the build.conf file."

would all the thin clients be applying this from somewhere? or do i need to change the files and then go round re-installing each client?

Thank Post
    That's exactly what I was talking about

If it's already in your config though that is a bit odd that it's not working (when he said he added those lines to fix the issue).

Ok, quick lesson in thinstation configs.

thinstation.conf.buildtime is the file included within the image itself
    thinstation.conf.network comes from the tftp root server (sounds like you might not be using one of these if you're doing an install to disk)

Have all of the machines stopped doing it at exactly the same time? IE, all of the old & new ones together or just the new ones you've installed?

If ALL of them have just started doing it I would be thinking it's group policy (or tsconfig.msc) that's limiting it but if it's just the newer ones that you installed it could be an old usb stick without the above config details or there's some local hacking to be done to enable them.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread