+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 Thread, Exchange 2010 not sending external mail in Technical; Just setup Exchange 2010 on its own Windows 2008 Server, Installed no problem, setup Mailbox, Client Access & Hub Transport. ...

Thank Post

Exchange 2010 not sending external mail

Just setup Exchange 2010 on its own Windows 2008 Server, Installed no problem, setup Mailbox, Client Access & Hub Transport. Fine so far. Config Hub Transport to send & receive external mail as shown in Configure Internet Mail Flow Directly Through a Hub Transport Server: Exchange 2010 Help

I can send and receive internal mail fine, but mail to any external email account just sits in the queue with the error message "451 4.4.0 Primary target ip address responded with: 421 4.2.1 Unable to connect. Attempted failover to alternate host., but that did not suceed. Either there are no alternate hosts, or delivery failed to all alternate hosts."

I have checked the DNS and i can ping from the server to external addresses and the server itself fine.

Any Ideas? This is my first Exchange box and any help when be gratefully recieved :-)

Thanks

Ste

Thank Post
    Have you looked at the Tracking Tool in the Tools section of the Exchange Management Console? This gives routing details and may show where the blockage is.

Thank Post
    I have run all the tools under the tools section each one reports no problem. Only error message is the one i give, one time for each external email. It look like accessright as you can see the message trying to connect but failing in the queue, but same email to internal account no problem. I have send the last 8 hours looking for a problem and just can't see one.

Anyone got a howto guide for Exchange 2010 so I can see if I have missed a step out in the set?

Thanks

Ste

Thank Post
    You could take a look at this from Technet - steps you through the install wizard. Also has links to pre-requisites etc.

Another thought, which I guess you'll have checked, the Exchange install logs. That sometimes shows warnings or errors which don't stop the install but might need attention.

Thank Post
    Thats all I have done to install exchange so, it not that I have missed a step out. Does anyone know if exchange 2010 by default only works with internal mail until you set up the send connect etc. Thats the bit which I think is having problems.

Yep the install log show no problem only that I can't now add a exchange 2007 to the domain

Ste

Thank Post
    There is no default root out of the domain on a 2007 or 2010 box - you will need to set up a send connector.

Thank Post
    I have set up a send connect as show in Configure Internet Mail Flow Directly Through a Hub Transport Server: Exchange 2010 Help, but can't get any external email to be send.

@James Have you setup a Exchange 2010 server to send external mail if so, could you give a brief howto just so I can check I haven't missed a step out.

Thanks

Ste

Thank Post
    Have you set the connector for DNS MX or via a smarthost? Also is your firewall allowing outgoing port 25.

Thank Post
    It look to have fixed itself!!! Just got the email which was in the queue. Set up send connector with DNS MX. The firewall is the LEA and they said they had allowed 80,443 & 25 to the ip address which I give them and give me a extrenal ip address. Ip address worked in school yesterday, but not at home, email them about it last night. Just checked and I can now access the web interface on the ip address they gave me, so guess exchange must have to have an open 25 in from the internet. The linux email server never need it could send mail no problem

Thanks for your help

Ste

Thank Post
    Just for reference, the standard sender connector which is automatically added upon a fresh install does not work. You need to delete it and make a new one.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread