+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 Thread, DFS Making explorer hang? in Technical; Hello everyone, We have two file servers, we have created a DFS namespace, placed all our shares into it and ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

DFS Making explorer hang?

Hello everyone,

We have two file servers, we have created a DFS namespace, placed all our shares into it and then replicated this to the second file server using DFSRS. Targets are active for both servers.

Now from time to time browing and accessing files from workstations just hangs for abut 3-4 minutes. Has anyone seen this issue before?

We're running a pair of Server 2008 SP2 (64-bit Servers) boex with DSF at the 2000 level. The clients are Windows XP and Windows 7.

Thanks

.Adam

Thank Post

Solution to XP Explorer hanging while connecting to DFS

Quote Originally Posted by fawkers View Post
    Hello everyone,

We have two file servers, we have created a DFS namespace, placed all our shares into it and then replicated this to the second file server using DFSRS. Targets are active for both servers.

Now from time to time browing and accessing files from workstations just hangs for abut 3-4 minutes. Has anyone seen this issue before?

We're running a pair of Server 2008 SP2 (64-bit Servers) boex with DSF at the 2000 level. The clients are Windows XP and Windows 7.

Thanks

.Adam
    I had this issue. We are running 2008 R2 Core DFS with XP and Windows 7 Clients. This issue does not occur with Windows 7 only on the XP Clients.

I fixed it by setting the folder option to "Use Windows classic folders".

To role it out to the whole office I set a GPO to do this "User Pol -> Policies -> Admin Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Explorer -> Turn on Classic Shell"

Just be careful when you set this GPO for Windows 7 clients as it changes opening folders and files to single click. So I split the clients into different OU's for different OS versions and set GPO's accordingly.

All users are working as they should now. No hanging and snappy. I also set the Referals Cache duration to 43200 (12 hours). As the namespace does not change at all and there is no reason for the clients to keep polling the namespace every 5 minutes.

Hope this helps people out there .... it took a lot frustrating hours to get it sorted.

3. Thanks to liquidcool from:

contink (17th December 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread