+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 Thread, Ubuntu Live CD straight in to Dom Admin personal share... in Technical; I encourage the students to try Ubuntu, and when they try, they get straight in to the Staff shares including ...

Thank Post

Ubuntu Live CD straight in to Dom Admin personal share...

I encourage the students to try Ubuntu, and when they try, they get straight in to the Staff shares including mine as Domain Admin using the standard Ubuntu connect to server functionality. I am burning a CD right now to test this.

I am assuming (hoping!) that this is my fault and the security is set up wrong, but am a bit clueless to be honest. I have now put students DENIED on the share rather than simply ALLOW on the staff.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like permissions to me, you just need to make sure that the NTFS permissions for the folders and files involved only have permit access to those users that need then and of course Domain Admins and System.

As long as the NTFS permissions only allow the users that are supposed to have access any rights to the files even connecting with Ubuntu or another OS will not give them access to the files and folders unless they have the logon and username of a user that does have access.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The bits on shareing and permissions on this page Microsoft Server 2003 Documentation: Lab 2 should help to clarify things a bit. A few tweaks and it should be fine.

Edit: Yay 4000th post, your location says NZ which bit are you in or from?

Thank Post
    I am in Fairlie for a year or so. Beautiful. Big snow last year so waiting for the ski fields to open - this is why I am here... I am a proper Pommie though

I just booted up with Ubuntu live CD and I could not get in without a password so I am not sure how he managed to do it. I have also managed to work out how to tell those PCs not to boot from a CD which is sad but I have reports to write and a network upgrade to manage and dealing with his (admittedly encouraged - I'd rather have him in the tent pissing out than outside the tent pissing in) attempts to subvert the system is quite time consuming.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thomaswp View Post
    I encourage the students to try Ubuntu, and when they try, they get straight in to the Staff shares including mine as Domain Admin using the standard Ubuntu connect to server functionality. I am burning a CD right now to test this.

I am assuming (hoping!) that this is my fault and the security is set up wrong, but am a bit clueless to be honest. I have now put students DENIED on the share rather than simply ALLOW on the staff.
    Make sure you take Everyone off, Because users are not authenticated against the domain controller on login, they get whatever access they can archive which is generally EVERYONE and not the security groups attached to the user accounts.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thomaswp View Post
    I am in Fairlie for a year or so. Beautiful. Big snow last year so waiting for the ski fields to open - this is why I am here... I am a proper Pommie though
    Nice, right in the middleish bit of the south island must have good views, was down near there last year. I'm not fantastic at skiing personally, I usually just end up sliding down the mountain on my face when I attempt it .

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread