+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Windows Server 2008 Thread, Home folders renames to My Documents in Technical; ...
    zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bewlay51 View Post
    File Synchronisation – Stopping
    You may wish to prevent file and folder synchronisation taking place when a user logs off. If so, you will need to edit the two group polices as described below.
    Thanks for this.

Its been bugging me for a while.

Fixed it perfectly as far as I can see.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
    We also use FSRM for quota management and I have to say I've been very impressed for something Microsoft provide for 'free'!

I love the way if you have a quota on a user's folder then drive display in my computer shows a bar of how much of the quota is in use.
    Do you need FRSM installed on all DC's for this to work?
    Also how when choosing the File screen Path, do you select a network location? I seem only to be able to select local drives

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefox View Post
    Do you need FRSM installed on all DC's for this to work?
    Also how when choosing the File screen Path, do you select a network location? I seem only to be able to select local drives
    Hi

You only need to install FRSM on the file server(s) you are trying to restrict.

As you installing locally on the machine you are restricting you use the local path to configure.

Alex.

Thank Post
    This is making my brain hurt at the moment, I thought I'd cracked it but they came back :S, I'll pop back in here when I'm back in the school tomorrow afternoon.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
    Hi

You only need to install FRSM on the file server(s) you are trying to restrict.

As you installing locally on the machine you are restricting you use the local path to configure.

Alex.
    ah unfortunately we're using CIF shares so now sure we can implement this. What adverse effect would be seen from simply deleting desktop.ini from the My documents folders? in testing I noticed if deleted it does not get recreated, and I'm not seeing any obvious detremental effect.

It seems desktop.ini is initially created when your roaming profile first updates when logging off of a Windows 7 device. When using just a local profile the desktop.ini is not created. After first upload of the file, if I delete it, subsequent log on/off events do not create another ini file.

Thank Post
    ah unfortunately we're using CIF shares so now sure we can implement this. What adverse effect would be seen from simply deleting desktop.ini from the My documents folders? in testing I noticed if deleted it does not get recreated, and I'm not seeing any obvious detremental effect.

It seems desktop.ini is initially created when your roaming profile first updates when logging off of a Windows 7 device. When using just a local profile the desktop.ini is not created. After first upload of the file, if I delete it, subsequent log on/off events do not create another ini file.
    I don't know what a CIF share is, but FRSM only works on local drives at source as far as I know.

pdr

Thank Post
    Hope you'll excuse me picking you up on this, but I have so far not been successful in stopping creation of desktop.ini files, and am still deleting them to re-establish folder name.
    In your solution you say:-
    "you will need to edit the two group polices as described below"
    However you only appear to refer to one group policy (Default Domain Policy):-
    a) Run group policy editor and navigate to “Default Domain Policy"
    c) Navigate to “Default Domain Policy” right click and choose edit.

Quote Originally Posted by bewlay51 View Post
    Sorry, not been around for a while.
    I did fix the problem by disabling file synchronisation on the home folders. I did it on the caching tab of the share, in my case "home$" Simple FIX. The following maybe of some help, but stops all synchronisation....

File Synchronisation – Stopping
    You may wish to prevent file and folder synchronisation taking place when a user logs off. If so, you will need to edit the two group polices as described below.

a) Run group policy editor and navigate to “Default Domain Policy” right click and choose edit.
    b) Choose Computer Configuration >Administrative Templates > Networking > Offline files.

Make the following changes:

Allow or disallow use of offline files features Disable
    Synchronize all offline files when logging on Disable
    Synchronize all offline files when logging off Disable
    Synchronize all offline files before suspend Disable

Remove “Make Available Offline” Enabled
    Prevent the use of offline file folders Enabled

Prohibit “Make available Offline” for those files and folders Disable

c) Navigate to “Default Domain Policy” right click and choose edit.
    d) Choose Computer Configuration >Administrative Templates > Networking > Offline files.

Allow or disallow use of offline files features Disable

NEXT
    e) Right click on the “home” share the select > Sharing > Caching >
    f) Enable the last option “Files and programs from the share will not be available offline”. If wished, this option can be enabled for all shared folders.

Re-boot the server

Thank Post
    Instead of using a script you can just add 'filename' column to your windows explorer view parameter.
    “View”, “Choose Details…”, activate “Filename” and press “OK”

9. Thanks to sly888 from:

zag (18th September 2013)

Thank Post

We're contemplating blocking desktop.ini file creation in our pupils documents folders using FSRM. Has anyone been running this for any length of time and discovered any side-effects or is it safe enough to do?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,967 Times in 2,182 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinghaggis View Post
    We're contemplating blocking desktop.ini file creation in our pupils documents folders using FSRM. Has anyone been running this for any length of time and discovered any side-effects or is it safe enough to do?
    Blocking the desktop.ini file will significantly increase your logon times so isn't recommended.

Thank Post
    I set a bat script to update once a day to deny the read permissions, works well.

$usernames = get-childitem C:\DATALOCATION*
    foreach ($name in $usernames ){icacls $name\desktop.ini /deny "STAFFGROUPR)"}

Don't deny access for the administrators group, otherwise you cannot run the scripts.

Thank Post
    Run this reg on all your machines and you will never have the issue of home folders being renamed to Documents.

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Prevents User folders being renamed to Documents after logging on

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions\{FDD39AD0-238F-46AF-ADB4-6C85480369C7}]
    "LocalizedName"=hex(2):00,00
    I no longer have to use a script to remove the desktop.ini file as the above fixes that issue.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123