+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 Thread, Home folders renames to My Documents in Technical; Originally Posted by rpwillis I've written a PowerShell script which denies read access to the desktop.ini file to a specified ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rpwillis View Post
    I've written a PowerShell script which denies read access to the desktop.ini file to a specified group. Anyone in this group will then not have the documents renamed.

Richard Willis – SharePoint Learning Kit Coordinator, SalamanderSoft Owner » How To Stop Home Folders Being Renamed Documents in the Network Share
    Thank you!! It's worked brilliantly.

Thank Post
    Sorry to dredge up old threads but I just got round to attempting to fix this (never really bothered me as always accessed users from unc shares) any way, I took the above guys test script, modded to work with xcacls.vbs and it works a treat, many thanks Nixphoe.

due to our legacy shares (created few year back by ranger, our issue was domain admin access to desktop.ini, not administrators)

script below if anyone wants a gander, modded to work straight from a batch file, and xcalcs.vbs from c drive

Code:
    'dir /b "\\servername\students\"') DO cscript c:\XCACLS.vbs  ""\\servername\students\%%a\desktop.ini /D "Domain Admins:R""

Thank Post
    Sorry to dredge up this thread again, but i was also wanting to do this and keep syncronization. As i read through the thread i was eagerly awaiting the batch file script that could be scheduled to delete the desktop.ini file. But alas i have got to the end and there was no script so i sorted it. Batch file script to delete desktop.ini file.
    Thought it would be nice to share with you all. If the link is helpful please thank me
    Last edited by Chunks_; 2nd March 2011 at 12:56 PM.

4. Thanks to Chunks_ from:

bart21 (4th May 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rpwillis View Post
    I've written a PowerShell script which denies read access to the desktop.ini file to a specified group. Anyone in this group will then not have the documents renamed.

Richard Willis – SharePoint Learning Kit Coordinator, SalamanderSoft Owner » How To Stop Home Folders Being Renamed Documents in the Network Share
    Fantastic. works very well however if you look at the comments on this page you will see this

Instead of using a script you could also just add an extra column to the view of windows explorer called “Filename”
    “View”, “Choose Details…”, activate “Filename” and press “OK”
    which works fine. Saves a lot of time with scripting to delete files that get recreated every time the student logs in.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bewlay51 View Post
    Sorry, not been around for a while.
    I did fix the problem by disabling file synchronisation on the home folders. I did it on the caching tab of the share, in my case "home$" Simple FIX. The following maybe of some help, but stops all synchronisation....

File Synchronisation – Stopping
    You may wish to prevent file and folder synchronisation taking place when a user logs off. If so, you will need to edit the two group polices as described below.

a) Run group policy editor and navigate to “Default Domain Policy” right click and choose edit.
    b) Choose Computer Configuration >Administrative Templates > Networking > Offline files.

Make the following changes:

Allow or disallow use of offline files features Disable
    Synchronize all offline files when logging on Disable
    Synchronize all offline files when logging off Disable
    Synchronize all offline files before suspend Disable

Remove “Make Available Offline” Enabled
    Prevent the use of offline file folders Enabled

Prohibit “Make available Offline” for those files and folders Disable

c) Navigate to “Default Domain Policy” right click and choose edit.
    d) Choose Computer Configuration >Administrative Templates > Networking > Offline files.

Allow or disallow use of offline files features Disable

NEXT
    e) Right click on the “home” share the select > Sharing > Caching >
    f) Enable the last option “Files and programs from the share will not be available offline”. If wished, this option can be enabled for all shared folders.

Re-boot the server

I have applied all the settings listed here, do i have to go back and delete out the desktop.ini settings to get the folders users folder that were showing up as document before I applied these settings ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sstretchh View Post
    I have applied all the settings listed here, do i have to go back and delete out the desktop.ini settings to get the folders users folder that were showing up as document before I applied these settings ?

I found that once the users folder had been renamed to "My Documents" or "Documents" you had to manually rename it back to the user name. I don't think it will do any harm to delete the desktop.ini file, but I didn't do that.

John

Thank Post
    Has anyone come up with a definate solution to this yet?

I have tried all of the group policy suggestions with no luck. I want to avoide having to setup scheduled tasks for scripts etc.

Thanks

Thank Post
    @Liam

We use FSRM to block the creation of desktop.ini on the user shares. I think it is available in server 2003 r2 and up, but I know it is in 2008.

Obviously this only fixes new creation so once in place you'll have to remove the existing files.

10. Thanks to AlexB from:

Ephelyon (29th April 2014)

Thank Post
    We also use FSRM for quota management and I have to say I've been very impressed for something Microsoft provide for 'free'!

I love the way if you have a quota on a user's folder then drive display in my computer shows a bar of how much of the quota is in use.

12. Thanks to AlexB from:

Liam (4th May 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanks ALEXB

I Must admit i didnt think of using a file screen.

thanks

All is well.

Thank Post

FSRM is the way to go

I signed up just to thank AlexB for the FSRM suggestion, I have 1200 users and was battling this desktop.ini problem by running scrips that created dummy desktop.ini files in folders all over the network, then other scripts that blocked "read" permission to them for "everyone." This was working until offline file synchronization (6 months later) started throwing synch errors for everyone trying to synch their (now access denied) desktop.ini files. I searched everywhere 6 months ago and this is the only place that a file screen was suggested, it is definitely the way to go, simpler, easier, will work for future user/folder creation, and allows for synching to work without error. I'm still surprised that we have to find work arounds for this and there's no official solution.

Thanks again, -KH

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kholler View Post
    I signed up just to thank AlexB for the FSRM suggestion, I have 1200 users and was battling this desktop.ini problem by running scrips that created dummy desktop.ini files in folders all over the network, then other scripts that blocked "read" permission to them for "everyone." This was working until offline file synchronization (6 months later) started throwing synch errors for everyone trying to synch their (now access denied) desktop.ini files. I searched everywhere 6 months ago and this is the only place that a file screen was suggested, it is definitely the way to go, simpler, easier, will work for future user/folder creation, and allows for synching to work without error. I'm still surprised that we have to find work arounds for this and there's no official solution.

Thanks again, -KH
    Hi kholler

Glad you found a solution. I'd recommend bookmarking Edugeek, there are lots of people here with vast knowledge between them, I rarely find they can't help me

Thank Post
    Hi, i've just put in place a file screen using FSRM, brilliant idea but now will redirected docs work for XP?

Seems there's a fail with copying desktop.ini so they wont.

Thought that was the perfect solution - are you guys using both xp and win 7 clients?

thanks

Thank Post
    I don't use FSRM, I still use the solution I described earlier in this post and have used it on three server now without any issues. These have a mix of Win7 and XP pro.

Regards,

John

Thank Post
    We are only Windows 7 here, sry

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast