+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 Thread, Can I do this?! in Technical; We have a very basic network system here, stretched across a dozen or so sites, with a maximum of 20 ...
    Thank Post

Can I do this?!

We have a very basic network system here, stretched across a dozen or so sites, with a maximum of 20 PCs on each site.

We'd like to improve our network storage abilities, rather than simply having shared drives on a tutors folder. (We're Adult Education, rather than schools).

We don't use AD, there are generic logons for students and tutors.

My interim solution, rather than rolling out a massive AD system and all the other problems it holds, is to get a new Win Server 2008 machine, with loads of RAM and HD space. Then create some shared folders on a partition within it.

Then what we would do is to manually map different folders on the server to drives on each PCs in each remote site.

Obviously we'd also get some sort of tape backup unit, etc etc.

Anyone spot anything massively wrong here? I'm not expecting massive amounts of traffic, nor huge files - word docs mostly.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Martin

Thank Post
    Hi Martin,
    In my opinion if you are going to the expense of buying a new Server then you might as well put it on a domain.
    I presume all the sites are linked via some sort of VPN? If so then just make them all members of the domain and away you go. You could order a resonable server with enough storage space for all of your documents and just map them as shared drives which using your DC you can role our quite easily.
    I'm pretty sure most suppliers on here would happily quote for installing/configuring that sort of setup.

Rich

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,919 Times in 1,419 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Tricky Dicky has the right idea. I would go along with that if you didnt want Active Directory etc (however AD is not as bad as people think it is!)

Thank Post
    Thanks for this. We do have a domain, but we have no control over the DCs. They're run by council corporate IT. All we can do is to add bits to it that can be accessed via the VPN.

I'd be happy to use AD, though there would be other considerations - logons in particular. Would we still want to use a generic student logon, what would be the impact on tutors who use the council VPN - would they remember two different logons etc etc?

Personally, I think this could be a stepping stone to a more sensible network arrangement, that doesn't challenge the status quo to much and upset central IT. It would also allow proper backups and storage, rather than relying on the limitations of mapping to a tutor's local Win XP machine.

Thank Post
    Have a word with your council IT dept if they're running the show. If you explain what you're after I'm sure they'll be in the best position to help you.

Thank Post
    I agree with TimZim, it shouldn't be hard for them to add a new DC and set it up how you want.
    Regards logins, you can have as many or as few as you want really. So a generic login for Teachers/Students would be fine. Beauty of doing this is that you can have the home drive map easily for them.
    Good luck

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information