+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 Thread, Chasing my tail with Hyper-V server in Technical; Hi, I've been going around in circles with hyper-v server (the standalone one) all day and I finally figured out ...

Thank Post

Chasing my tail with Hyper-V server

Hi,
    I've been going around in circles with hyper-v server (the standalone one) all day and I finally figured out my problem but alas have no solution.
    background:
    I'm setting up a domain controller and a file/print server as vm's on our new server.
    I have one domain controller right now that is only a test DC in place until the virtual machines are up and running.

My problem is that to get access the hyper-v server I need to use the management tool from another PC. I used the hvremote.wsf to get all the configurations correct. From there I tried many times to connect using the servers ip address and name however it would only work after I went to my test DC and added a record to the servers address.
    The DNS server however will cease to be after I get the new virtual DC up and running. so therein lies my problem. Do I set up a new small, perhaps open source, dns server to handle the communication for just these 2 devices?

any help would be appreciated.

Thank Post
    would it work better enabling remote desktop on the hyperv machines and connecting using that?

Thank Post
    if its the bare metal hyper-visor version of hyper-v then i think its like having hypervisor on a core ver of windows, and therefore the pc with hyper-v on can't do any management and therefore rdp won't work

Thank Post
    I can remote desktop into it just fine by using the IP and get access to the core config. It just seems like the MMC can't use ip's, it requires the hostname.

Is there a way to ingrain that a certain hostname will always point to a certain IP? Perhaps some sort of DNS on the client computer that I'm using to manage it so it never even asks the DNS to resolve the hostname?

**Edit**
    I think I may have it. I may just need to edit the host file on the client to point to the server. I'll try it tomorrow and see if it works.

***Edit 2***
    Yup editing the host file worked out just fine.
    Last edited by NifeWrench; 11th January 2010 at 03:15 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread