+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 Thread, Nod Anti Virus Server Hangs in Technical; I recently installed the latest 64bit version of Nod on our main DC, so far I have had two server ...
    Thank Post

Nod Anti Virus Server Hangs

I recently installed the latest 64bit version of Nod on our main DC, so far I have had two server hangs on two consecutive Tuesdays since installing it. It seems to be a common problem and It seems to be down to the UPHCLEAN running on the server, only post here to give people the heads up.

Problems after upgrading NOD32 on File Server - Page 2 - Wilders Security Forums
    Last edited by ICT_GUY; 24th November 2009 at 03:34 PM.

Thank Post

RE: NOD Anti Virus Server Hangs

Hi there. Which version of NOD32 (2, 3 or V4), and what OS? I have just completed a migration of our directory to Windows Server 2008/R2, and everything was fine, other than every so often, a few of the servers would just die. No events in the logs, could still ping the servers, but file shares were unresponsive and clicking anything on the desktop of the server brought the whole thing to a halt. These are brand new, HP Proliant DL380s with 32Gb RAM and Quad CPUs. I spent ages with performance monitoring and troubleshooting, switches etc. and eventually the light came on in my pea sized brain and I looked at the antivirus software. I've used NOD32 for years and had installed the latest version of NOD32 (v4, x64) without even thinking about compatibility. Searches in the Wilders Security Forums soon revealed many with exact or very similar issues. To cut a long story short, I uninstalled NOD32 V4, downloaded and installed V3 and configured as per Eset's recommendations, and the problems went away instantly. Phew...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by earlyriser View Post
    Hi there. Which version of NOD32 (2, 3 or V4), and what OS? I have just completed a migration of our directory to Windows Server 2008/R2, and everything was fine, other than every so often, a few of the servers would just die. No events in the logs, could still ping the servers, but file shares were unresponsive and clicking anything on the desktop of the server brought the whole thing to a halt. These are brand new, HP Proliant DL380s with 32Gb RAM and Quad CPUs. I spent ages with performance monitoring and troubleshooting, switches etc. and eventually the light came on in my pea sized brain and I looked at the antivirus software. I've used NOD32 for years and had installed the latest version of NOD32 (v4, x64) without even thinking about compatibility. Searches in the Wilders Security Forums soon revealed many with exact or very similar issues. To cut a long story short, I uninstalled NOD32 V4, downloaded and installed V3 and configured as per Eset's recommendations, and the problems went away instantly. Phew...
    I was using the latest version, version 3 also screws things up royally. So the main DC has no AV at the moment. Mine too was a Proliant server running 64 bit 2008.

Thank Post
    I'm still avoiding V4 on servers for these reasons but I have 3.0.657 and 3.0.684 running on server 2003 SP2 and server 2008 SP2 without issue, they're both x32 though.
    I do have an issue with one 2008 DC freezing on login occasionaly and I'm hoping it's not NOD, I've configured a few of the recommended exclusions and it seems ok for now.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 25th November 2009 at 09:32 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    I'm still avoiding V4 on servers for these reasons but I have 3.0.657 and 3.0.684 running on server 2003 SP2 and server 2008 SP2 without issue, they're both x32 though.
    I do have an issue with one 2008 DC freezing on login occasionaly and I'm hoping it's not NOD, I've configured a few of the recommended exclusions and it seems ok for now.
    Yes I have no problems on my 32 bit servers. I am getting flak for the two times the system has frozen (2 times in 5 years) but I dont like leaving my main dc naked.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICT_GUY View Post
    Yes I have no problems on my 32 bit servers. I am getting flak for the two times the system has frozen (2 times in 5 years) but I dont like leaving my main dc naked.

I know what you mean. At least on 2008 you can run the firewall and you won't be browsing the net so your risk is limited.

Thank Post
    I have just spoken to Eset, they have said its down to file exclusions, I did mention the fact that it works fine on my 32bit servers, so they said to install the latest build, add the file exclusions and all should be fine.

Now, do I go and test this crud in a live environment since if it goes wrong I will have everyone and their wife coming in and telling me "it don't work, will it work next week, I need it for BLAH BLAH BLAH..>"

BTW I am not having a good week, the chest freezer blew this morning and Christmas is coming, both equally expensive and just about as much fun shelling out for.

BAH HUMBUG.

Thank Post
    Virus scanning recommendations for computers that are running Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7

This is the typical MS article detailing which files need to be excluded. I have to wonder why this is not automatically set when you install nod onto a SBS server.

Thank Post
    Yep as I mentioned above following the exclusions seemed to work on our servers but there is one that freezes occasionally but it's so infrequent I can't pin it down.

Thank Post
    I have Nod V3 (can't remember which version) on x64 Server 2008, though not a Proliant. I too followed the exclusion list and so far <touches head for wood> it's working. V3 is also on the 2003 x32 Server. I agree that the exclusions should be built in to the install as if you miss one can cause all sorts of issues.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by leco View Post
    I have Nod V3 (can't remember which version) on x64 Server 2008, though not a Proliant. I too followed the exclusion list and so far <touches head for wood> it's working. V3 is also on the 2003 x32 Server. I agree that the exclusions should be built in to the install as if you miss one can cause all sorts of issues.
    Well it might also explain some other issues I have been having with joining PCs to the network (directory service busy), possibly. I would have thought that some warning somewhere would have displayed.

I am still wondering if to attempt to install the AV on the main DC knowing the amount of I will get if it falls over next week
    Last edited by EduTech; 21st March 2010 at 12:07 AM. Reason: language

Thank Post
    Well that's timing one of my x32 2008 servers just died. This one is a VM and all of the other VM's on the box carried on just fine, this is just a file server so no extra complicated services or software to interfere.

Just ploughing the event logs now.

Thank Post
    I missed an exclusion on a directory "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Log s", on the server that crashed there's loads of log files all created today, on all of the other servers there's only a couple. I wonder if that could signify anything, I've added the exclusion so i suppose it's a waiting game now.

Thank Post
    I have excluded *.log, looking through the exclusions, MS have given best practice though I am more concerned that I do not miss any exclusions and have the DC hang again.

Thank Post
    Once you've finished adding all of the exceptions the list is pretty long. I'm surprised they don't have profiles for different server roles as you say.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast