+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 Thread, DFS For Synchronizing between Domains in Technical; Hi all, In my move to a new domain I have reached the point of wanting to have users data ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb DFS For Synchronizing between Domains

Hi all,
    In my move to a new domain I have reached the point of wanting to have users data on my new servers... I was thinking: If I setup DFS on my new servers can I get it to keep the documents n*Sync while we're in the transfer process, also meaning that I wouldn't have to change what's happening with backups as all files would be on both servers (backup in it's self) and goto tape from the old domain.

Hope this is making sense...

If this would work for setting up DFS then do I need to install DFS on both servers (source and destination)?

Thanks for your help

Thank Post
    We use DFS replication for fault tolerance. We replicate user data between two servers; when one failed a few weeks ago it really proved it's worth.

I don't think replication will work between domains though. Also, when you add the second target and initiate replication make sure you disable the second target until replication is complete. Otherwise users may get connected to an empty (or partially replicted) folder. Once repliction has completed (check the event log) you can enable the second target.

Be cautious about backup; replication isn't a substitute. If you delete a file on one server, it's gone on the other one too!

3. Thanks to altecsole from:

DAckroyd (20th November 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    thanks altecsole,
    is there any way of keeping 2 shares synced with eachother?

syncing works as backup if a server goes down and tape setup to backup old servers so can leave going until new domain fully deployed

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DAckroyd View Post
    thanks altecsole,
    is there any way of keeping 2 shares synced with eachother?

syncing works as backup if a server goes down and tape setup to backup old servers so can leave going until new domain fully deployed
    Yes, you can setup replication to replicate both ways, so any changes made on one server replicate back to the other. If you map the DFS namespace (as we do) you need to disable the second target until initial replication is complete. Once it is, you enable the second target and they user is connected to either of your replicated shares (you can replicate to several servers if you wish). You can still use DFS replication and just use a UNC path to map users drives, but I'd urge you to consider using DFS namespaces.

You can also setup one way repliction. This can be useful if you want to replicate data from a number of servers to a single location prior to running a backup.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by altecsole View Post
    Yes, you can setup replication to replicate both ways, so any changes made on one server replicate back to the other. If you map the DFS namespace (as we do) you need to disable the second target until initial replication is complete. Once it is, you enable the second target and they user is connected to either of your replicated shares (you can replicate to several servers if you wish). You can still use DFS replication and just use a UNC path to map users drives, but I'd urge you to consider using DFS namespaces.

You can also setup one way repliction. This can be useful if you want to replicate data from a number of servers to a single location prior to running a backup.
    I did look into DFS Namespace but I didn't see much need as the servers are VM's so wouldn't offer much as far as I can see...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DAckroyd View Post
    I did look into DFS Namespace but I didn't see much need as the servers are VM's so wouldn't offer much as far as I can see...
    I suppose it depends on what you're doing. If you connect users to a DFS namespace, where there are several replicated targets, they can continue to work normally even if the server they're accessing the files from goes off-line. DFS will just connect them to another one of the replication servers.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Possible BINGO! here...

Built a 2k8 server on a workgroup and using it as an inbetween computer

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I feel like I'm on a roundabout here... I think the DFS on a workgoup machine has some potential but I'm just struggling with the older domain...

I thought I'd see what Windows Server Backup had to offer... anyway, moving on.

I've searched the internet for some kind of powershell script thing but no joy but if someone has something for the job in their pocket then that would be nice please

other option is 3rd party products so if anyone know of anything, please say

Thanks,
    Dave

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread