+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 Thread, Exchange 2007 - Student Mailboxes in Technical; We are having huge issues at the moment will mass mailings, We have staff, yr7, yr8, yr9, yr10, etc, etc ...
    Thank Post

Exchange 2007 - Student Mailboxes

We are having huge issues at the moment will mass mailings,

We have staff, yr7, yr8, yr9, yr10, etc, etc mailing lists. These are locked down in exchange so that only staff can send to the student mailing lists and so that the SLT can only email the staff mailing list.

The problem we have now is that students go into the global address book and select several (100+) students to send complete junk to. The students then use to reply all button and away it goes!

We could of course remove the global address book which would mean that the pupils would need to know the alias of who they want to email.... but we would prefer it if we could restrict from within exchange so that students can only send to upto 5 reciplicants at any time.

So.... does anyone know if we can do this and if so how!?!

Thanks in advance, ect

Thank Post
    In Exchange 2003 you'd go to the AD interface, find a user, go to the Exchange General tab and click Delivery Restrictions and input the desired number - not sure if that's the same for 2007 though without booting up my vmware server!

Thank Post
    As far as i'm aware this can only be done on a global level. Under Organization Configuration select hub transport, under global settings there's an option for transport settings, in here you can select maximum number of recipients. However this would effect all users including staff. - I'll keep looking.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee_K_81 View Post
    As far as i'm aware this can only be done on a global level. Under Organization Configuration select hub transport, under global settings there's an option for transport settings, in here you can select maximum number of recipients. However this would effect all users including staff. - I'll keep looking.
    Hi,

You can do this on Exchnage 2007 by using the ADmodiy tool to make bulk changes to each studen't mailbox.

If you set the limit on each mailbox it will override the global limit. This is what we done at our school by setting the recipient limit to 1.

You can find the setting by going to Exchnage Management console and then expanding Recipient Configuration | Mailbox. Double-click on the appropriate user and select the Mail Flow Settings and double-click on Delivery options and set the appropriate number in the box next to maximum recipients. If a there is no tick next to maximum recipient then put a tick it the box to make that setting active.

The above is the manual way of doing this, but if you use ADModify, you can make bulk changes to all student accounts say.

HTH,

Ash.

Thank Post
    Actually it can also be done on recieve connector, hub transport server - but you have to use the EMS. see link

or as spc-rocket says on individual mailboxes via ADModify or individually. Dependant on your setup depends which way will be best. ADModify might be best.
    Last edited by Lee_K_81; 20th October 2009 at 01:48 PM.

Thank Post
    The answer is on Edugeek in quite a few places.

You need to use PowerShell alongside an Organisational Unit or Group and it'll run through and set the RecipientLimit to whatever value you set.

Code:
    Get-Mailbox -OrganizationalUnit "Students" | Set-Mailbox -RecipientLimit 5
    *off the top of my head, so might be wrong.

Thank Post
    We use Exchange2007 and

set-mailbox -recipientlimits 1

for all student mailboxes by default, the teacher has to specifically ask for a higher limit, highest we have is 5 for some sixth formers.
    That way they have to individually e-mail each person and cannot use a mailing list, seems to work wonderfully as we had one industrious student sending out a mail offering flash based games through the mail 50p for 2 games. We've also imposed a 50Mb quota on their mailboxes to limit the storage of stuff like swf files. Once that 50Mb is reached they cannot send or receive until they clear it out.
    We've also limited the visibility of address books and search scopes.

Seems do the trick!

Thank Post
    I'm getting the message that get-mailbox is not recognised?

Thank Post
    Okay this is actually driving me mad now! How can a command work for so many people but not me? Is there a prerequirement, such as directory change or something, for the powershell command?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread