+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 Thread, How do I? Vanilla 2008 in Technical; We are currently an RM CC3 school and i want to change as i see the upgrade process from cc3 ...

Thank Post

How do I? Vanilla 2008

We are currently an RM CC3 school and i want to change as i see the upgrade process from cc3 to cc4 being a nightmare from what i have seen on here.

What is involved in setting this up? I have some 2008 experience using it as a webserver.

Ideally i would like to be s2008 with w7. Is this difficult?

Thank Post
    Not to put a downer on it, it took me a year to work out how everything things vannilla wise then it took me a year to plan out my system, you have to not rush and you need to plan so you dont annoy users, I did this twice and it didnt go down well!

What you need to learn:

*Group Policy (Especially GPP, make life alot easier)
    *Active Directory
    *DNS
    *DHCP
    *Printer Management
    *Restoring Vanilla servers
    *User Management (profiles, scripting, creation etc..)
    *Package Deployment
    *Not exactly needed but virtualisation is worth looking into, especially for software deployment
    *Testing all software with Windows 7
    *Security

But mostly its planning

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by youngandlearning View Post
    We are currently an RM CC3 school and i want to change as i see the upgrade process from cc3 to cc4 being a nightmare from what i have seen on here.

What is involved in setting this up? I have some 2008 experience using it as a webserver.

Ideally i would like to be s2008 with w7. Is this difficult?
    The upgrade process from CC3 to CC4 isnt has problematic as it was but a clean install is preferable.
    Both the upgrade from CC3 to CC4 and CC3 to vanilla require planning and preperation.
    It sounds like you would be better getting your LEA or a firm into to help to setup and customise a 2008 setup, but running a test setup with a couple of old machines or some vm's would be a good way to learn.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,731 Times in 1,494 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Depends what you know. I mayself would find it relatively easy, i have setup many networks myself. What do you know?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by youngandlearning View Post
    There certinly are alot of bugs with CC4 (you may of seen some of my problems), ultimatly after a very tense meeting with our RM Acount Manager we are staying the course now.
    However...either hope and pray a clean install works, go server 2008 or simply wait a few months until RM have ironed out all the bugs and go CC4 then.

Thank Post
    Is this difficult?
    Yes.

We don't have enough information on the current system, requirements, your current skills to say anything particularly sensible, however there's a very big difference between throwing a basic Windows system together and making something roughly equivalent to your current CC3. For me, if I were starting from scratch, I'd say that difference would be at least 3 months solid work.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Setting up a vanilla network isn't difficult at all.

A couple of hours with group policy is all you need, just setup a descrete test network and have a go.

Things like printer management and package deployment are very easy in windows 2008 these days.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallwood_6 View Post
    The upgrade process from CC3 to CC4 isnt has problematic as it was but a clean install is preferable.
    Both the upgrade from CC3 to CC4 and CC3 to vanilla require planning and preperation.
    It sounds like you would be better getting your LEA or a firm into to help to setup and customise a 2008 setup, but running a test setup with a couple of old machines or some vm's would be a good way to learn.
    From what i have been told by county a CC4 fresh install will cost more than an upgrade. from what i have read on here and from what i have heard from else where a fresh install is much more reliable than hellish upgrades.

I think what i will be doing is taking a few old stations out of retirement setting them up with an old server to learn and make cockups on. we have till next summer to learn, plan and decide. so not that big a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Depends what you know. I mayself would find it relatively easy, i have setup many networks myself. What do you know?
    i know a lot compaired to most although compaired to folks on here im sure im quite thick lol

Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    There certinly are alot of bugs with CC4 (you may of seen some of my problems), ultimatly after a very tense meeting with our RM Acount Manager we are staying the course now.
    However...either hope and pray a clean install works, go server 2008 or simply wait a few months until RM have ironed out all the bugs and go CC4 then.
    i have had to get problems with RM sorted this way before and i dont need the hassle.

all in all looks like my job for the next few weeks is reading up on GP and writing a report saying why and how also setting up something to learn on

thanks for all your advice

Thank Post
    my job for the next few weeks is reading up on
    Step one ought to be gathering the requirements for this potential vanilla system.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread