+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 Thread, Deploying printer Group Policy PReferences Warning in Technical; Hi So we have had a new 2008 server installed at the beginning of the holidays to run SIMS so ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Deploying printer Group Policy PReferences Warning

Hi

So we have had a new 2008 server installed at the beginning of the holidays to run SIMS so I thought I'd use it for some of the management side of things to such as deploying printers.

So, I've set up a test OU and created the user preference to deploy a printer to that machine using update and then turned the loopback processing on so that it gets processed and set as the default, then linked the policy to the test OU and tried it out.

So the printer seems to install without problem and I can check the options and everything, however was just glancing through the event log and spotted this:

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: Group Policy Printers
    Event Category: (2)
    Event ID: 4099
    Date: 21/08/2009
    Time: 22:33:09
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer: ITOFFICE2
    Description:
    The client-side extension could not log RSoP data because it failed with error code '0x80041002 <unknown-message-text>'.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at Events and Errors Message Center: Basic Search.

Searched google to no avail as to what might be causing it or whether it is anything to worry about.

Any ideas? The other question I've to ask while I remember is, should I have ticked the run in users security context button or not?

The computer which this is being deployed to is Windows XP SP2.

Cheers!

Thank Post
    I wouldn't worry too much since it's the logging that's not happy, not the printer install.

Meanwhile, that error code 0x80041002 appears to turn up in combination with WMI quite a bit and the WMI repository (system32\WBEM) is one of those places that can get mangled by badly made MSIs that have erroneously captured files from there etc.

3. Thanks to PiqueABoo from:

Cache (22nd August 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    One thing I've noticed about GPP is that it is extremely trigger-happy about writing to the Event Log, more so when the client is running XP. Some of the messages are utterly needless too: for example, if you set a File preference to delete a particular file, and it can't find the file (usually because it deleted it last time during a previous policy refresh and the file hasn't been recreated yet), it will log a warning to tell you the file doesn't exist.

Why would I care? I don't WANT the file to exist!

Clicking the tickbox to suppress the errors has no effect in my experience. In that particular instance I got around the message log pollution by setting a condition that only tried to apply the action if the file already existed.

5. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

Cache (22nd August 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ah that's fine then, thanks!

Means I'll finally be able to work out how much is actually being printed and then don't have to remember to install the printer on each workstation after each rebuild!

That file one made me smile though, haven't got that far into GPP yet, but if I know that they right nonsense to the logs quite a lot I'll not worry about it to much.

Thanks again!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread