+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 Thread, 2008 terminal services in Technical; Please can someone explain to me 2008 published applications. I am a regular and long term citrix user, so I ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

2008 terminal services

Please can someone explain to me 2008 published applications.

I am a regular and long term citrix user, so I get the basics.
    What I want to know is 'how' are the apps published? Citrix can use a *.ica file that I give to all clients that have the ica software. How do 2008 clients run their published app? what do I need to install on the 2008 clients?

Edit:

also if anyone can compare SGD would be good. TIA
    Last edited by CyberNerd; 18th August 2009 at 03:38 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 2,272 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Published apps are just .RDP files and so long at you have an OS over XP SP3 or Vista SP1 you do not need to install anything on the clients. They just run in MSTSC like a normal RDP session but have a string in the file that tells it to run a specific appliction id on the server in transparent mode.

These can be packed into a MSI file and pushed over AD with absolute ease. These MSIs just copy across the rdp file and add some icons for it where you specify.

One thing that I have not figured out yet is passthrough authentication so the user still needs to enter their logon details to launch the application on the server for the first time.

Not sure on a comparison with the above options though as I have not used them much and have not administered them. On a traffic note 2k8 RDP is much more efficient and with 2008 r2 as far as I know there is even the ability to push some of the DirectX rendering over to a 7 OS for much smoother 3D.

3. Thanks to SYNACK from:

CyberNerd (18th August 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    spot on . thats exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks.

as a follow up,
    For publishing applications to external users (who may have non-microsoft) can I get SGD to do this an look at the 2008 servers. How much would it cost? Citrix is out of budget for this one

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 2,272 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not sure about the SGD pricing but as remoteapp just uses the RDP protocol you can actually just use a different client to connect to it if it supports it. This will provide a full TS desktop rather than the full app if the remoteapp stuff is not fully supported but your setup may not nessisitate SGD.

There is an apple client direct from MS that supports Vista/2008 and RDP6 so it probably supports remoteapp and should allow connection over https like the windows client.
    Connect Across Platforms with Remote Desktop Connection | Mactopia
    Help and How-To for Microsoft for Mac Office Products | Mactopia

The Linux alternative Rdesktop is a mystery for the moment though, I know that it supports RDPv5 but I don't think that it is up to 6 yet. This means that it is the only one that is unlikely to be able to use the SSL tunneling of TSGateway and would require the use of an alternate product instead.

Here is a list of clients:
    Remote Desktop Clients | Remote Desktop FAQ

6. Thanks to SYNACK from:

CyberNerd (18th August 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    One thing that I have not figured out yet is passthrough authentication so the user still needs to enter their logon details to launch the application on the server for the first time
    If you work this out Synack, let me know! Am just deploying Musac via RemoteApp to hopefully avoid the usual issues of teachers running it over wireless and corrupt database etc. Would be nice if I could give them something completely seemless

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread