+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 Thread, GPO failed to deploy in Technical; I've a GPO to uninstall old and install some new software. All is fine except on one machine which hasn't ...
    Thank Post

GPO failed to deploy

I've a GPO to uninstall old and install some new software. All is fine except on one machine which hasn't installed. All the old software has gone but none of the new has been installed.

Done a gpupdate on the machine - twice and a force - all to no avail. The machine should be no different from others that have deployed successfully. There's nothing in the event viewer that indicates why the deploy has failed. Any ideas anyone?

ps the uninstall is in a separate script from the install.

Maz
    Thank Post
    Might sound completely stupid but - have you checked the computer name and that it's 100% in the right OU?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Maz View Post
    Might sound completely stupid but - have you checked the computer name and that it's 100% in the right OU?
    Not stupid at all - but yes it has the right name and it's in the OU that I expect it to be in.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    On the machine in questions go to Start > Run and type in the gpresult command

i.e.

Code:
    gpresult c:\gpinfo.txt
    See what that shows you, should tell you where its going wrong and why

James.

Edit: See this if you want further information: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...gpresults.mspx

5. 2 Thanks to EduTech:

jedmondson (24th July 2009), leco (23rd July 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Try removing the machine from the domain to a workgroup, delete the computer object (if its still there in Active Directory), then re-join the domain. There might be a problem with the computer object in Active Directory.

7. Thanks to Michael from:

leco (23rd July 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Try removing the machine from the domain to a workgroup, delete the computer object (if its still there in Active Directory), then re-join the domain. There might be a problem with the computer object in Active Directory.
    That's what I figured. Currently the machine has been taken off the domain. However, when I tried to log on locally I couldn't get in. Maybe I got the wrong password or something. Tomorrow will do as you suggest and remove from AD prior to rejoining. Thanks.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    On the machine in questions go to Start > Run and type in the gpresult command
    Thanks, I'd forgotten about that command. Will try that as well.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,390 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What does the event log show?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    What does the event log show?
    Nothing relevant

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts
    However, when I tried to log on locally I couldn't get in
    You should reset the local administrator account. There are utilities which can do this for you, so you can then logon and re-join the domain.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by leco View Post
    Nothing relevant
    Don't think that's what Zak asked :-)

If group policy is being applied then you should either get a message saying "success" (and then you have to troubleshoot why the policy was applied but it didn't do what you expected - gpresult helps here) or you get a message saying "failure" and it might give a clue what failed (userenv logging helps here)

the third possibility is that the PC isn't even realising that it should be picking up group policies at all - you then have to start checking if the machine is in the right OU, are you filtering on security groups and the machines not in the right group (or are there other "wrong" filters). DNS issues are possible here (although unlikely if the machine is just using DHCP and the others are all working)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    Don't think that's what Zak asked :-)

If group policy is being applied then you should either get a message saying "success" (and then you have to troubleshoot why the policy was applied but it didn't do what you expected - gpresult helps here) or you get a message saying "failure" and it might give a clue what failed (userenv logging helps here)
    When I said nothing relevant I meant that there were no success or failure messages. Having finally got into the machine - now on my desk rather than a classroom the other end of the school - gpresult didn't help either.

the third possibility is that the PC isn't even realising that it should be picking up group policies at all - you then have to start checking if the machine is in the right OU, are you filtering on security groups and the machines not in the right group (or are there other "wrong" filters). DNS issues are possible here (although unlikely if the machine is just using DHCP and the others are all working)
    The machine was in the correct OU, there were no filtering security groups. DNS checked out in both forward and reverse. DHCP also checked out.

However, what I did find was a wrecked OS!! A load of settings were just not there, it wouldn't hold any new settings either. I tried a repair with an installation CD but that didn't help even though it changed loads of files that were evidently corrupted. In the end I gave up and reformatted the drive and reinstalled. Monday's job will be re-installing all the software. No I don't yet have a usable image, that's another job I am doing this summer, getting to grips with imaging (which incidentally is not going to plan either).

Thanks for the help anyway guys. One of these days things will work out like I plan them

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread