+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 Thread, GPO: Folder Redirection in Technical; I am trying to redirect some things into where I want them (see image - may then make sense) Originally ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

GPO: Folder Redirection

I am trying to redirect some things into where I want them (see image - may then make sense)

Quote Originally Posted by I have found this on technet:
    Folder Redirection and environment variables
    The folder redirection client side extension is only able to process two environment variables: %username% and %userprofile%. Other environment variables such as %logonserver%, %homedrive% and %homepath% will not work with folder redirection.
    any help on why the specified target is not valid would be great
    Thanks all,
    Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks to DAckroyd from:

tmcd35 (3rd July 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    go into command prompt and "echo %userprofile%", it might not be returning a full path and making it invalid (i've never used it on servers and such so I don't know how they render it)

4. Thanks to p858snake from:

DAckroyd (3rd July 2009)

Thank Post
    This might be a stupid question but why are you redirecting the directory to exactly where it was going in the first place? At least thats what it looks like.

Thank Post
    Is it not normal to create a share dir and then point through a UNC path to the location. Eg for a share called \\UserProfiles\

\\UserProfiles\%Username%\AppData

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    Is it not normal to create a share dir and then point through a UNC path to the location. Eg for a share called \\UserProfiles\

\\UserProfiles\%Username%\AppData
    Minor correction:

Code:
    \\servername\sharename\subdir

\\nameofyourserver\UserProfiles\%Username%\AppData

8. Thanks to apeo from:

DAckroyd (3rd July 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have done that and it comes back with something but I'm working from that administrator account so it's not got this GPO being applied to it

Thank Post
    O btw you dont need %Username% in that as the type of GPO you are applying here automatically creates a folder for each user as it says. Just point it at a UNC share (With server name )

11. Thanks to Jamo from:

DAckroyd (3rd July 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    gggrrrr... I hate computers - I have changed what I am doing (for the second time now)

First change was to goto \\server\Profiles$\%username%

as that didn't work as hoped I then tried to set \\server\%username%$\Profile\

but that wont even set - the first one would set but would still only give a local profile - rest of GPO's policies were set ok though so It has picked that up

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by apeo View Post
    This might be a stupid question but why are you redirecting the directory to exactly where it was going in the first place? At least thats what it looks like.
    Erm, I'm with Apeo on this on. What exactly are you trying to do? By default the AppData directory is stored in each users roaming profile. Are you after a second shared dir on another server/drive away from the main roaming profiles that hold this for each user?

If so then you need

Code:
    \\<servername>\<sharename>\
    The server will auto populate this with %username% dir's and put the AppData stuff in there.

EDIT: Just stood up (to make a coffee) and thought more about this. I think I know what you're trying to achieve and I may implement it here. You don't won't the AppData dir to download with the rest of the roaming profile - thus speeding up logons. Like it!

I'm sure my code above is right. Just point the root path to a share on one of your servers and Windows will take care of the rest. No need to worry about usernames AFAIK.
    Last edited by tmcd35; 3rd July 2009 at 03:46 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I was aiming to specify where these things are going so I know they aren't going to end up with local profiles everywhere or bits going missing - if it's set as "redirect to the local userprofile location" is that their roaming profile or locally on the workstations?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just set this up myself. Windows didn't complain.

As I understand it....

'Redirect to the local userprofile location' would be on the local workstation.

The standard is to keep it with the main roaming profile. For this you don't set up any folder redirection at all. But, it get's copied to the local machine with the rest of the roaming profile as the user logs on. If it's quiet large then it can increase log in times.

'Create a folder for each user under the root path'. Redirects the folder, so it's not copied to the local machine with the rest of the profile. Hopefully speeding up logins.
    Attached Images Attached Images

16. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

DAckroyd (3rd July 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That looks like it makes sense now... now have \\DC4\Profiles$\AppData\ and will do the same for Contacts, Desktop, Links, search, start menu and Saved games

The Other bits are going to Home - Downloads, Music, Video, Pictures, and favorites

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Are you not going a bit OTT? Most of this stuff should be standard default profile behavior. Give 'em roaming profiles and leave it at that.

The kids have there own home folders which contain the usual stuff (music, videos, etc). We've redirected Start Menu and Desktop so that they are the same for everyone. And that is it.

We have a generic roaming profile (Default User) in NETLOGON that takes care of most of the default user settings. I've set a max profile size of 4Mb (based on the 3mb size of the default user) so they don't get too big and fill up disk space.

Finally I've just redirected the AppDir folder as I think this is a good idea and can lighten the load of the roaming profile.

Certainly not going to try redirecting contacts, links, search or saved games. They'll only take up a few kb of profile space at any rate!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread