+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Server 2008 Thread, 2008 R2 in Technical; That recycle bin thing is already in w2K8. You have to do a schema upgrade to get it though....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That recycle bin thing is already in w2K8. You have to do a schema upgrade to get it though.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    That recycle bin thing is already in w2K8. You have to do a schema upgrade to get it though.
    So, it's not in 2k8 then? (ie. a schema upgrade isn't default in my mind )

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    You're focussing on one AD object - the GPO. What about groups, accounts, OUs, and every other OU object? There is a massive amount to an AD, not just GPOs.

A backup of an AD is only good for one event - catastrophic failure. Not for recovering someone's account you've accidentally wiped. And why should we pay for a module to backup our AD as individual parts when it will be built in directly?

Same sort of rules apply, why would you be delete regularly computer accounts? User accounts should be disabled, then deleted on mass at half term etc, OU etc shouldn't be changed.

Take your point about built-in, but it's not really a backup really, I suppose I believe in the whole, if it's too easy to do, you get depended on it. Where as if you had to find what tape it's on, go get the tape, put it in the autoloader, invent it, restore it, you tent to not repeat your mistake. Anyway, it's there and I doube it'll be going.

Thank Post
    Does anybody know if R2 is a "free" upgrade available to download or do you have to buy new licenses and disks?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by badders View Post
    Does anybody know if R2 is a "free" upgrade available to download or do you have to buy new licenses and disks?
    It's not free. Unless you have a schools agreement.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    If you bought the 2008 stuff through Ramesys / SSAT Agreement then I believe that it will come free, just the media to be bought from a conversation I had the other day with them as I said when I can order direct R2 stuff as I want 2008 DCs for September and it was buy 2008 now and just get a new CD in October when its all released and you are fine and covered. But very much worth checking with them and getting it in writing.

Thank Post
    Personally I would class it as a new OS
    2008 R2 isn't a small upgrade at all
    I'll definitely second that, as in don't assume it's just like 2K3 to 2K3 R2. I've got a very serious off-the-shelf 2K8 domain configuration process which exercises a wide variety of areas - recently patching that to work on 2K8 has been umm.. interesting[1].

And of course R2 is 64-bit only i.e. could be wrong, but I can't see there being an upgrade path from 2K8 32-bit to 2K8 R2 (and if there is I certainly won't be volunteering to use it).

In plain 2K8? Where/how? You can already get deleted (actually tombstoned) objects back from 2K3/2K8 AD, but I haven't come across the friendly AD Recycle Bin except as a "new in R2".

I just think when you delete something it should be deleted, not put in the recycle bin, specially if it's AD.
    MS disagree, hence tombstoning.. 180 days since 2K3 SP1 isn't it?

Symantec Backup Exec offers an agent for AD if you want to restore a policy
    Probably cheaper to just run the relevant included-with-GPMC script as part of a pre-job command. There's some very handy stuff in than often overlooked GPMC scripts folder.

A backup of an AD is only good for one event - catastrophic failure
    Eh? Probably doesn't happen very often in real-life especially given the ability to "reanimate" tombstoned objects , but you can selectively restore bits of AD with ntdsutil.

[1] GPO differences are my current headache - I get a lot of Component Status warnings in 2K8 R2 when modelling GPOs that were imported from a 2K8 GPO backup.

Thank Post
    sounds like microsoft should be selling it as Windows 7 server.

Except that would probably impact on sales of Windows 2008, the old psychological aspect of buyers holding off for a 'new' product. a la Vista/7

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    sounds like microsoft should be selling it as Windows 7 server.

Except that would probably impact on sales of Windows 2008, the old psychological aspect of buyers holding off for a 'new' product. a la Vista/7
    Pretty much yup, they are playing on people's goodwill when it is really an entirely new release of server.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12