+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 Thread, WDS converting capture files to install files in Technical; As a new subscriber to this forum I wondered if someone can help me concerning WDS on a 2008 server ...

Thank Post

WDS converting capture files to install files

As a new subscriber to this forum I wondered if someone can help me concerning WDS on a 2008 server where other forums have failed.
    What I need to know is how to make the transition between a captured image of a sysprepped XP workstation to an image that can be used to install on multiple workstations.
    I have booted up the recipient workstation but am only presented with the standard longhorn image or the capture image previously created. I need to know how I can download the captured xp image onto the workstations as the menu is not populated during boot.

I have scanned dozens of documents but they all have gaps in the information so I am none the wiser.

Over to you guys

Thank Post
    Have you created a discover image? (right click your boot image and choose "Create Discover Image"..

When you sysprep/capture your image you should have been given the choice to upload it to your WDS Server.
    Once uploaded you need to use your Discover Image to load it back to another PC

Not sure why they called it a discover image as it is confusing..

Also, if the image is not suitable for the type of PC then it wont show for deployment!

Thank Post

Wow, that was quick

Hi Gatt,
    Thanks for your prompt response, I am impressed. My understanding is that discover images are only used when PXE is not available in my case the Dell Vostro workstations have PXE boot enabled NIC's. The image capture was uploaded to the image store reminst\images\<image_group>\*.wim as part of the capture process.

Thank Post
    The last time I checked, you have two boot images that it presents when you use PXE

one is the default one (in your case, probably the longhorn setup)
    the other is the capture image you make from the first (I think?)

When you want to shove an image back on, you boot into the non-capture image and work through the menu's...

Eventually, it gives a list of available images that have been captured - these will be trimmed in most cases, only showing you the images which match your HAL.

Then you choose where it's going, hit done and it drags and expands the image as you expect it too...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread