+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 Thread, adding a server 2008 dc to a 2003 domain in Technical; Building Schools for the Future ( BSF ). Partnerships for Schools The latest way that the government has found for ...
    Thank Post
    Building Schools for the Future (BSF).

Partnerships for Schools

The latest way that the government has found for wasting tax payers money by giving it to companies on the assumption that it will be managed more efficiently. Unfortunately 'all' the money saved on efficiency will then be handed over in bonuses and to share holders no doubt so net saving for the government = 0

Need evidence take a look at pretty much all EDS contracts with the government
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 24th September 2009 at 02:58 PM.

2. Thanks to cookie_monster from:

oxide54 (24th September 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    Building Schools for the Future (BSF).

Partnerships for Schools

The latest way that the government has found for wasting tax payers money by giving it to companies on the assumption that it will be managed more efficiently. Unfortunately 'all' the money saved on efficiency will then be handed over in bonuses and to share holders no doubt so net saving for the government = 0

Need evidence take a look at pretty much all EDS contracts with the government
    thought it was something along those lines.

Thank Post
    Birmingham Schools for the future or of the future.
    We have a no playground, sports hall, or pe space but we do have a large metal structure going up at the back of the school. thats bsf oh and everything we buy has to have 5 years next day warrenty, yay

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jason2234 View Post
    Hi all

I'm in the process of adding a server 2008 server as a dc to a 2003 domain but i want to make sure i'm doing it all right and there a few areas i need some help with.

Right i have 2 2003 dc's and i'm adding this as the 3rd and later i will remove the older of the 2 2003 dc's. The PDC is named Fred (i didn't name it this ) and the new dc is named dc-01. This is as far as i've gotten.

1.install server 2008
    2.run the following commands on my 2 2003 dc's
    adprep /forestprep
    adprep /domainprep
    adprep /domainprep /gprep
    adprep /rodcprep
    3.run through dcpromo on my 2008 dc
    4.get a cup or coffee and enjoy my success

Is this even right? Is there anything i've missed off? such as do i need to back up the ad before this (how do i do this if i do never actually backed up ad before )?
    Will there be any network downtime in this process?
    Also i want the server 2008 server to be the primary dc will my method achieve this?

Thanks

Jason
    A stupid question but if you upgrade your network to include 2008DcCs do you then have to upgrade your CALs?

My LEA tells me they will not go upto 2008 yet due to the large cost of upgrading the CALS.

GJE

Thank Post
    i'm not familiar with what cals stands for

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide54 View Post
    excuse me for being a 'tard whats BSF?
    You've seen those fantasy films or war films with a wave of darkness sweeping over the world, swallowing all in its path and plunging it into evil?

Most people would say its pretty similar.

Its an initiative intended to improve schools and school buildings, but part of that is managed IT services which is where the objections come in.

Thank Post
    Small tip to add to this one...

If you get RPC errors and problems communicating between the DC's then chances are your IPv6 NIC setup is causing problems... Took me a couple of hours to remember this caused problems in Vista so I disabled it and voila all the DCDiag errors about LDAP connections and resolving the new server name disappeared.

Isn't mentioned anywhere in relation to the errors I was getting either which made for "fun"...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jason2234 View Post
    Hi all

I'm in the process of adding a server 2008 server as a dc to a 2003 domain but i want to make sure i'm doing it all right and there a few areas i need some help with.

Right i have 2 2003 dc's and i'm adding this as the 3rd and later i will remove the older of the 2 2003 dc's. The PDC is named Fred (i didn't name it this ) and the new dc is named dc-01. This is as far as i've gotten.

1.install server 2008
    adprep /forestprep
    adprep /domainprep
    adprep /rodcprep

Is this even right? Is there anything i've missed off? such as do i need to back up the ad before this (how do i do this if i do never actually backed up ad before )?
    Also i want the server 2008 server to be the primary dc will my method achieve this?

Thanks

Jason

Sorry to be dragging up an old thread but, do the commands need to be run if all you're doing is installing 2008 on a seperate box and then thinking of doing a DCPROMO instead of an upgrade in place of the 2003 server?

Thank Post
    if all you are doing is thinking about running dcpromo then no the adprep command are not a prerequisite for thinking about doing it.

but you will need to run them if you are actually going to run dcpromo.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
    Sorry to be dragging up an old thread but, do the commands need to be run if all you're doing is installing 2008 on a seperate box and then thinking of doing a DCPROMO instead of an upgrade in place of the 2003 server?

You need to prep the domain before adding a 2008 DC to the domain.

I'll be honest if you don't know how to backup active directory then you are under qualified/experienced and should NOT be installing new DC's and altering the schema.
    If this all goes wrong how would you recover your active directory and DC’s, what is your recovery plan or fall back position?

It's not my intention to belittle you in any way but I wouldn't try to rebuild or upgrade my car engine after a few posts on a forum.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    I'll be honest if you don't know how to backup active directory then you are under qualified/experienced and should NOT be installing new DC's and altering the schema.
    If this all goes wrong how would you recover your active directory and DCís, what is your recovery plan or fall back position?

It's not my intention to belittle you in any way I wouldn't try to rebuild or upgrade my car engine after a few posts on a forum.
    More to the point what is your recovery plan if your DC's develop a harddisk failure generally, do you not back them up on a daily / weekly etc basis.

Thank Post
    A quick google search will tell you how to back up ad. quite simple and easy but if your run tapes every night then the tapes should have backed ad up.

In simple terms 2008 uses a newer schema (44 i think ?) to add a 2008 dc to an existing 2003 ad you need to make both servers use the same schema or the dc's won't work correctly. I updated the schema on my 2003 dc's and then made my 2008 dc the pdc (primary dc) which all works great but means i don't know how well it works when a 2003 dc is the pdc.

on my orginal post i posted

1.install server 2008
    adprep /forestprep
    adprep /domainprep
    adprep /rodcprep

but i didn't have to run all the parts in part 2. if you google these steps you should be able to pick out which ones to use but i think it was just the first 2.

Jason

Thank Post
    Jason2234, how did you update the schema on both your 2003 servers?

Thank Post
    It was quite a while ago in April. I think i ran

adprep /forestprep then
    adprep /domainprep

Then a promoted my 2008 server to dc and made this pdc. I used a mircosoft guide from the internet that helped through all the steps and explained what each adprep command did. the adprep stuff is on the 2008 cd/dvd under \sources\adprep\.

If i was you i'd get google a micrsoft guide and follow this through as i found the one i had was invaluable.

16. Thanks to jason2234 from:

Chuckster (15th December 2009)

Thank Post
    promote your 2000 native mode to 2003
    run the following commands on your 2003 dc's
    adprep /forestprep
    adprep /domainprep
    adprep /rodcprep

otsile tirelo
    Last edited by otsiletirelo; 10th May 2012 at 01:56 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast