+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 Thread, Volumes, folders, home folder, etc in Technical; Ok, very dumb questions but for some reason i can't get my head around what's best to do. Moving everything ...

Thank Post

Volumes, folders, home folder, etc

Ok, very dumb questions but for some reason i can't get my head around what's best to do.

Moving everything onto a fresh new server, all installed and all good so far.

5 drives using raid 5 creating disk 1 and 2 (non os that's seperate drives)

Now, should i create volumes for 'areas' such as home or should i let each disk be one complete volume and create a good folder structure?

I like the idea of volumes, but could limit for space in the future?

both choices seem to have good and bad points.. i'm being very lame and can't decide which is best.

Please give my dumb ass a kick into gear for me.. cos this is beginning ot become a hang up!!

Cheers :-)

Thank Post
    Personally, I'd go with single volumes (partitions) and a decent folder structure. I made the mistake of going down the multiple partition route on one of our earlier servers (now retired) and it came round and bit me in the butt a few years later when disk space issues cropped up. Have since learned my lesson!

Not a lame question at all, BTW. We all have to start somewhere and it's much better to ask if you're unsure.

3. Thanks to nsherin from:

klop (27th April 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Agreed with the good folder structure, the only reason for seporate volumes is if you want to implement differnet quota settings for different places. It is far easier having the data all on one drive as space can be used as nessisary and is not tied up in different set roles.

5. Thanks to SYNACK from:

klop (27th April 2009)

Thank Post
    Cheers guys, you've confirmed what i thought was the bets thing to do :-)

Sometimes this ickle old head of mine gets easily distracted!
    I too setup up partitions on a previous server and then had the problem of running out of space once before, so why in hell i thought it might be the better option this time i'll never know.. just one of those simple decisions really that sometimes i manage to over complicate!!

Thanks again.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Indeed, my general rule with servers is to have 2 volumes (partitions). One for the OS and one for data with a decent file structure.
    And for user areas in particular always start will the top level folder called 'Users'. Its saves time and grief later on.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Indeed, my general rule with servers is to have 2 volumes (partitions). One for the OS and one for data with a decent file structure.
    And for user areas in particular always start will the top level folder called 'Users'. Its saves time and grief later on.
    This is how I do it, very useful when reinstalling the server as you can keep the user data and it's permissions intact while wiping the OS drive, not to be used to replace backups when reinstalling but a quicker method than backup/restore during the reinstall.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread