+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 Thread, Redirect issue? in Technical; Installing a new server - 2008 64. Have successfully Xcopied all data across to new DC (overnight). Changed paths in ...
    Thank Post

Redirect issue?

Installing a new server - 2008 64. Have successfully Xcopied all data across to new DC (overnight). Changed paths in GPO's now all mandatory profiles point to new server, so far so good. Did the same with all other profiles. Having found the need for an extra bit on the end of the path that 2008 seems to need which 2003 didn't.

Stopped sharing the old Profile folder on the old server. Now mandatory profiles work fine but I'm getting errors on desktops/start menus redirects continuing to look for the old server share. Must have missed something somewhere, any ideas what please?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,675 Times in 2,269 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Those redirected paths for start menu etc are in GPO. I would gue the GP managment console to make sure that the old ones are not defined anywhere else and check a client machine with the RSoP snapin to make sure they have applied. It may be that you need to reboot the stations a couple of fimes or force a policy upgate on them by using "gpupdate /force" to grab the new settings.

The manditory profile may also have them hardcoded in the registry so you may need to edit it to alter it to the new location or try using a gpo to override the inbuilt setting.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Those redirected paths for start menu etc are in GPO. I would gue the GP managment console to make sure that the old ones are not defined anywhere else and check a client machine with the RSoP snapin to make sure they have applied. It may be that you need to reboot the stations a couple of fimes or force a policy upgate on them by using "gpupdate /force" to grab the new settings.
    Have forced GPO update, shutdown and restarted workstation, checked all GPOs that I can think of - all to no avail The workstation still displays the red Xs for desktop then another for start menu.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,675 Times in 2,269 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Right click on the red Xs and see what error message it is giving, also check the event log for clues. Have you tried going directly to the shared folders in question as a user to make sure that the permissions are right?

It does sound like it could be hard coded into your manditory profile though.

Since your changing it anyway I would look into using DFS to make a perssistant DFS mapping to use, this way even if you change the location again you will not need to change all of the paths once you have them pointing at the DFS link.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Right click on the red Xs and see what error message it is giving, also check the event log for clues. Have you tried going directly to the shared folders in question as a user to make sure that the permissions are right?
    Haven't tried that one as I'm not sure that the user can actually "see" the folder with the technical stuff in it.

It does sound like it could be hard coded into your manditory profile though.
    Since the mandatory's work there must be something in there somewhere, I agree.

Since your changing it anyway I would look into using DFS to make a perssistant DFS mapping to use, this way even if you change the location again you will not need to change all of the paths once you have them pointing at the DFS link.
    Might be something in that as both servers are going to be working as DC's. I really wanted all the user data and files etc. to be on one server. Ah well, will have another look on Monday when I've had a think and some eye rest. I was so looking forward to having it all done by now, hey ho the idiosyncrasies of IT technicalities are what keeps me interested (ha ha).

Thanks, have a good weekend.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread