+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Windows Server 2008 Thread, It was all going so well...... in Technical; Got a new server, installed Server 2008 64Bit on with no problems, update drivers, etc, etc. Install Exchange 2007, work ...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    891
    Thank Post
    282
    Thanked 139 Times in 112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    27
    Rep Power
    42

    It was all going so well......

    Got a new server, installed Server 2008 64Bit on with no problems, update drivers, etc, etc.

    Install Exchange 2007, work through all the pre-requisites and get Exchange installed and running ready for configuration today.

    So, this morning, I do a quick update check and it installs Security Rollup 6 for Exchange and now all my Exchange Services have been disabled!!!!!

    Looking around, it seemed this was a known problem for the Rollup 4.

    Now I've got to try and find out why, what and who. Getting all back to how it was and start again. Damn annoying as it was going so well!!! Grrr.

    Any thoughts anybody?

    Pete

  2. #2

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,262
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Rep Power
    340
    Do the event logs have anything useful as to why Exchange services have been disabled? If you try manually starting them, what happens?

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    891
    Thank Post
    282
    Thanked 139 Times in 112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    27
    Rep Power
    42
    Nope, no errors in the Event logs. Just the few during last night and yesterday while setting up initially. But, no actual errors from this morning.

    Haven't tried manually starting the services yet, thats the next step but just pissed off that this has happened.

    I've removed that particular security update for now and work through the multiple number of services installed by Exchange!

    Pete

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    891
    Thank Post
    282
    Thanked 139 Times in 112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    27
    Rep Power
    42
    More digging, it would appear that Update 6 is causing as many problems. For the ones it does install correctly on it's breaking OWA!!!

    Not impressed!

    Pete

  5. #5

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,262
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Rep Power
    340
    You should still be able to get Update Rollup 5, I would of thought. Was it WSUS which downloaded and installed it?

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    891
    Thank Post
    282
    Thanked 139 Times in 112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    27
    Rep Power
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    You should still be able to get Update Rollup 5, I would of thought. Was it WSUS which downloaded and installed it?
    No, as it's a new system, I've been manually downloading and installing updates before starting to configure it proper.

    Will look for rollup 5.

    Pete

  7. #7
    contink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,791
    Thank Post
    303
    Thanked 327 Times in 233 Posts
    Rep Power
    118
    The exchange rollups always cause problems and I'm amazed MS haven't actually sorted this mess out yet...

    Rollup 2007 fubar'd things for me while removing it seemed to sort things... Best I can suggest is uninstalling the rollup and then instaling again, repeating until you get it all to install properly instead of borking at various random stages as it seems to do.

  8. Thanks to contink from:

    FragglePete (12th March 2009)

  9. #8

    Dos_Box's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Preston, Lancashire
    Posts
    9,057
    Thank Post
    624
    Thanked 2,215 Times in 1,016 Posts
    Blog Entries
    23
    Rep Power
    635

  10. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

    FragglePete (12th March 2009)

  11. #9
    Heebeejeebee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Intergalactic Cruise
    Posts
    1,057
    Thank Post
    69
    Thanked 79 Times in 62 Posts
    Rep Power
    35
    I had a similar issue after an update and it turned out that Exchange could no longer contact a particular MS website. I had to use the proxycfg.exe to fix it. This link may help you out.

    <edit> Do'h </edit>

    HBJB
    Last edited by Heebeejeebee; 12th March 2009 at 02:33 PM.

  12. Thanks to Heebeejeebee from:

    FragglePete (12th March 2009)

  13. #10

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    891
    Thank Post
    282
    Thanked 139 Times in 112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    27
    Rep Power
    42
    Well, I've been playing about all day, and I managed to 'peel off' rollup 6 and apply rollup 5. Strange that even logged in as the Enterprise Admin, I still have to run the patch with elevated permissions!

    Anyway, been blindly going through the settings this evening, and have managed to get the our current e-mail server (mdaemon) forwarding to the Exchange box, and vice-versa sending out via MDaemon from Exchange. So, that's phase 1 complete so I can add users and not upset the current system. More tweaking and working out policies etc ready for migration, etc.

    Thanks for all replies

    Pete

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •