+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 Thread, ADMT Problem... Trust? in Technical; Evening All, I'm officially pulling my hair out on this one... I'm hoping someone can be me some enlightenment At ...
    Thank Post

ADMT Problem... Trust?

Evening All,

I'm officially pulling my hair out on this one... I'm hoping someone can be me some enlightenment

At Easter we're moving our network to W2k8, on brand-spanking new servers. Our current network has 3 DCs - a W2k server as the FSMO holder, a W2k3 and a W2k3R2 box. Previously the network was CC3, and the reminisce of RM's schema updates, etc. remains. So I've decided to do a ADMT move to a new W2k8 only forest.

I've got the new infrastructure setup virtually at the moment so I can test methods for the final move. ADMT is installed on the target DC, PES on the source DC, the necessary registry changes applied, a trust created (...that APPEARED to work...), source admins added to the target admins group, and visa versa, PES certificate done & installed.

Come to test the PES move, and the ADMT can't talk to the PES move. Come to try to move a computer, won't have that either as it won't connect to ADMIN$.

Back to basics with netdom to verify the trust, and behold - "Access Denied". After much head scratching (and curse words), I enable AllowNT4Crypto, thinking that's it, and re-create the trust, which again appear to create fine, but netdom doesn't like it.

I've even done the unthinkable and Googled it... and still no clue... either I'm missing something blatantly obvious here, or...

Umm.... HELP.... please!

Thank Post
    The plot thickens...

On our existing domain we have:
    1x Windows 2000 DC
    2x Windows 2003R2 DC

On our new test domain we have:
    1x Windows 2008 DC

The trust verifies correctly on both the existing domain W2k3 DCs, but produces "Access Denied" on both the Windows 2000 DC on the existing domain, and the Windows 2008 DC on the new domain.

Anyone have any ideas here please?

Thank Post
    May or may not be relevant as I did 2k3 to 2k3 but anythings worth a try.....

When you added the admin groups did you add Domain Admins global group from the source to the Administrators local group on the target and vice versa (you didn't say in your post)

Do you have a local group called SOURCEDOMAIN$$$ in the source domain (without any members in it)?

Thank Post
    RM's schema updates, etc. remains.
    I'm sorry this is a side-issue but I have to ask: So what?

It's just a package object class and few attributes isn't it? They're not going to do anything e.g. package objects won't appear out of nowhere, create a new OU or computer and they won't get any rmCom2000-Wotsit attribs.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread