Site Maintenance this evening The site will be offline for hosting changes. Time TBC

+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Windows Server 2008 Thread, GPO based printer deployment in W2k8 Domain in Technical; Deja vu. a) Printers are essentially a per user thing (whatever impression RM or anyone else may give you) b) ...

Thank Post
    Deja vu.

a) Printers are essentially a per user thing (whatever impression RM or anyone else may give you)

b) You can deploy a printer with preferences in a GPO that is applied to all users and then set the targeting on a particular printer delivery preference to say it only applies on certain computers e.g. computers that are in your Room 27 OU... if it's Tuesday

It's the targeting that make preferences interesting/useful.
    Last edited by PiqueABoo; 15th June 2009 at 11:00 PM.

2. 2 Thanks to PiqueABoo:

eean (18th November 2009), Oops_my_bad (16th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    b) You can deploy a printer with preferences in a GPO that is applied to all users and then set the targeting on a particular printer delivery preference to say it only applies on certain computers e.g. computers that are in your Room 27 OU... if it's Tuesday

It's the targeting that make preferences interesting/useful.
    So, typical school environment, where users could potentially be logging on almost anywhere:
    we create one GPO for all users with all the printers, then set up per machine rules/exceptions to decide where that printer is applied? You could have a lot of printers. Does it affect performance?

Previously, I set up shared printers per machine and had pushprinterconnections install them. I'm guessing that isn't an option in 2008. Do you know why they let you have IP printers per machine but not shared printers?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eean View Post
    So, typical school environment, where users could potentially be logging on almost anywhere:
    we create one GPO for all users with all the printers, then set up per machine rules/exceptions to decide where that printer is applied? You could have a lot of printers. Does it affect performance?

Previously, I set up shared printers per machine and had pushprinterconnections install them. I'm guessing that isn't an option in 2008. Do you know why they let you have IP printers per machine but not shared printers?
    in that case i believe you would be doing the GPO for the computers, not the users then any special exemptions (eg: teachers might get a special copier ect) be targeted at the user groups.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by p858snake View Post
    in that case i believe you would be doing the GPO for the computers,
    For users you can add Local Printer, TCP/IP Printer, and Shared printer (i.e. \\server\printername) but for computers you can only do Local Printer and TCP/IP printer.

You used to be able to add a per machine shared printer connection using Server 2003 R2, or via the command line in windows but they seem to have removed it from 2008. A downgrade?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 972 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Always worked fine for me and was good and reliable. So for example I had D3_COL and D3_BLA (both Printer name and Share Name) and the D3_BLA was the automatically selected Printer with it being a B and not a C So you may need to re-name your printers about a bit but it worked fine which is all I wanted and needed, so no need for anythign else like a script to recifiy that issue.
    So if you used the following

BLA
    COL
    DLA

Assuming that it works and BLA became default then why would you need the first part ie D3_ ??

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    So if you used the following

BLA
    COL
    DLA

Assuming that it works and BLA became default then why would you need the first part ie D3_ ??
    D3 was the room it was in EG S11, D3, D12 etc (makes it clear that that D3_BLA is the Black Printer in Room D3).

TBH now 2008 is here that stuff is not that relevant as 2008's GPP Printer management is a lot better than 2003's was.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123