+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 Thread, GPO based printer deployment in W2k8 Domain in Technical; Originally Posted by boomam Yes you can? Theres a box on the targetting tab (i think its there anyway) that ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by boomam View Post
    Yes you can?
    Theres a box on the targetting tab (i think its there anyway) that you can tick saying 'set as default printer' with another one that says 'only when a local printer isnt present' or something like that anyway.
    It's greyed out under Computer Policies, I do not wish to assign printers per user, but only depending on the machines location.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Thanks everyone. Especially the underscore tip to deal with default printers.
    From what I was aware R2 printer management ( if its the same or similiar to win2k8 ) set the default printer by the name ie it alphabetically selects the first one so as per the above example if it starts with a then the printer that has A would become default over the one with B

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by k-strider View Post
    Do i read this right that if we upgrade / add a 2008 DC to the LAN (still 2003 R2 here) we get to push printers out using GPO using Group Policy Preferences and this works on XP clients etc...

Do you just need to ensure the Group Policy Pref Client gets deployed from WSUS

and Just need a 2008 DC

or do you need to raise the whole forest / domain to 2008 Native?

Thanks Gordon.
    You do not need to upgrade the domain/forest functional level. You will have to do a schema upgrade though (with adprep). However you must do this anyway if you want to add a W2K8 machine as a DC.

Windows Server 2008 ADPREP

Additionally you will only be able to edit the extra GPO settings on a Vista/2k8 machine. As W2k3/XPSP3 and GPMC v1 does not understand.

Windows Server 2008 & Group Policy Management Console (GPMC) - Windows Server 2008 blog by Kurt Roggen [BE]

4. Thanks to Geoff from:

k-strider (26th January 2009)

Thank Post
    Still a pain that it doesn't just have a default printer feature, as the renaming method won't work for us as different printers will be default depending on the room the machine is in...

Would love to hear from the MS design team how they managed to miss it out!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've also found it doesn't work for Thin Clients. I'm having to keep using the old VBS script around for those clients.

Thank Post
    we get to push printers out using GPO using Group Policy Preferences and this works on XP clients etc...
    Haven't tried it but I thought you were supposed to get Preferences by just deploying the XP CSE and running the 2k8 RSAT from a Vista box - essentially you need GPME, not ye olde GPEdit, to edit Preferences.

I found deploying printers, including setting the default, wiping out any virtual ones you don't want etc. to be very easy with Preferences... and you can do some interesting magic with the targeting.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    It's greyed out under Computer Policies, I do not wish to assign printers per user, but only depending on the machines location.
    You can do that too.
    You can target to a multitude of options, ranging from computers, users, OU, specifications, ect;

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by boomam View Post
    You can do that too.
    You can target to a multitude of options, ranging from computers, users, OU, specifications, ect;
    I know you can assign based on the machine, but you can't set a default printer based on the machine. When working on machine prefs the option to make is default is not available.

Thank Post
    Can you do it by the machine's OU?

Thank Post
    Does anyone know where we can get an MSI for the XP Client Side extensions and also what ever is required to push out printers.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    CAn you not just use the pushprinters.exe in a Startup script as that will run the .exe fine.

Thank Post
    I know you can assign based on the machine, but you can't set a default printer based on the machine. When working on machine prefs the option to make is default is not available.
    True, but....

I made a GPO that hits all users which is dedicated to allocating printers and (mapped) drives. Then you just get on and make some preferences e.g. #1 sets the default printer with a target saying "computer must be in room 27 OU".

Not sure how well this scales, but it also supports what I want in places which is to give different user groups different printer sets when they're logged on to the same machine e.g. a target might say "computer must be in room 27 OU and user must be in group X"

Thank Post

Getting pritners to XP desktop via group policy preferences

Hi Matt

We are having an issue with GPP to install printers. The printers are not mapping at all.

We have attempted to manually install the client side extension KB943729. It does not show up under Add/Remove programs.

We have tested that the policy is running and the workstation is reporting that it is.

We are all windows XP users but one Windows 7 user reported getting a policy based printer albeit intermittently and it cleans up manually installed printers (which are not a problem to install).

Any ideas what could be wrong?
    Any tests to check the KB943729 extensions are on the machine?

thanks
    Mort

Is there a test

Quote Originally Posted by saundersmatt View Post
    Are you talking about using group policy prefrences or "deploy with group policy" from the print management console.

We use group policy preferences to install printers, which is pretty good, however we had major issues with vista clients. We have had to revert back to vb scripts to map printers to vista workstations. It works flawlessly on XP however, you can specify which printer is the default. Combining this with item level targetting makes it very powerful indeed.

It would be interesting to see if you had any joy using this method on vista clients, if you have any.

Matt

Thank Post
    Is there a test
    Look in the client-side event logs - preferences are quite verbose (may have done but I don't believe I turned anything on for that behaviour)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by saundersmatt View Post
    Using preferences, you have finite control over which machines/users the printer is deployed to
    I don't see a printer preferences item in computer settings - so I assume you can only use this method (preferences) to deploy printers to users...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast