+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 Thread, CreateEnvironmentFromXML in Technical; An update on CreateXMLFromEnvironment.wsf mentioned in another post . I made a migration table to map various bits in the ...

Thank Post

CreateEnvironmentFromXML

An update on CreateXMLFromEnvironment.wsf mentioned in another post.

I made a migration table to map various bits in the source domain to equivalent bits in a new domain and CreateEnvironmentFromXML.wsf more or less worked very nicely - created OUs, groups, users, GPOs, and linked the GPOs in the right places with the right security. The only bit I missed was a command line option for the script to stop users being automatically set to Disabled on creation.

But either it's my naff migration table or nothing got translated in the Preferences. These are stored in XML files in a sub-folder in the GPOs, so I ended up finding and replacing things that needed translating, manually.. well kind of.. used wingrep for that because I've yet to figure out how you search a given folder for *.xml files containing "sometext"..

..this kind of search was routinely trivial in XP/2K3 but I gave up trying in 2K8... anyone know if you can do it?

Thank Post
    I would start with:

findstr /?

...if you're looking to use native windows tools to replicate grep functionality.

Thank Post
    I'm looking for what I used to be able to do with search in 2003 Explorer. Seemed to do what I wanted using a boolean in the search box e.g.

*.txt AND fred

found text files with the word "fred" in them, but that didn't find what it should for *.xml.

I just don't like or trust the new Explorer search - another baby/bathwater thing.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information