+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Server 2008 Thread, Server 2k8 in Workstation OS in Technical; I use this at work. We are testing Windows Hyper-V and you can only RDP to Server 2008 using Vista ...

Thank Post

Server 2k8 in Workstation OS

I use this at work. We are testing Windows Hyper-V and you can only RDP to Server 2008 using Vista or another server2008. As we are all XP (and staying that way) then I tried the server2008 as a PC route. Performance is amazing on a single 3GHz processor and 1GB RAM. I applied the latest graphics card driver and now have it running the full Aero desktop with little apparent speed difference. I gather that Windows 7 is supposed to be close to the performance of server2008 - let's hope so.
    Greg

Thank Post
    We are testing Windows Hyper-V and you can only RDP to Server 2008 using Vista or another server2008
    Eh? I have RDP'd to a 2k8 server from the XP laptop I'm using now.

That might require the RDP client update (think that's in XP SP3, but I'd already installed it to play with 2K8 RC Remote Apps etc.).

Thank Post
    RDP on Windows server doesn't send images of the screen over the connection anymore if Aero is enabled. Instead, the server sends information that tells the client what to draw and where and the rendering is all done client-side; it's a much neater way of doing things.

Thank Post
    RDP also depends on what level of RDP thingy you choose I think.

I only had XP working with the Less Secure option...

Thank Post
    There are a couple of recent posts which also suggest you can service pack and hotfix to solve the problem. This is a useful blog:
    John Howard - Hyper-V and virtualization blog : Controlling Hyper-V VMs in Virtual Machine Connection over TS/Remote Desktop without a mouse

I should have said that the issue was the mouse.

Server 2008 was so impressive that I gave up looking to see if there was a fix. Perhaps MS should have released a desktop licence? In normal circumstances it is stupid to pay more for the licence than for the PC or laptop!

Thank Post
    Sorry, I must be missing something.

Firstly, yes, Server 2008 is more stable out of the box. It's tweaked to run background services much better then applications, thus the file copying.

The only thing that I think will cause a problem is AVG Free (or such) that does not allow to be installed on server. Windows 2008 is basically the vista kernel modded.

My final comment, and please can someone explain the logical reason for this, that Windows 2008 server, as in the OS Microsoft wants me to install on my DNS server, includes Aero as an option to install?!? I'm sure there must be one, I mean why would you put such a bloat feature on a stable OS?

I believe KB952155 would fix the XP > 2008 TS issue.

Thank Post
    please can someone explain the logical reason for this
    It's another ticked box in the flexible OS features list that costs MS nothing (or very little), and having gifted Core to the command-line warriors they needed something to keep the GUI-bound desktop icon arrangers happy?

I used to run NT3.5x & 2K server, but I wanted one for server relevant s/w dev etc. VMs were wonderful, but not as convenient then as they are now.

Aside: SysInternals pretty much made their name exploring how NT workstation could be persuaded to morph into NT server, and what MS did to prevent you fiddling

Thank Post
    That it a very interesting point. I can only see a reason to install Aero as a PC. Did MS think it might be a solution to Vista bloatware? If I were setting up a PC as a domain controller and DNS only then I would set up server core and install server core configurator. (Windows Server Core - CoreConfigurator to the rescue - Windowmaker's blog)

Thank Post
    I actually liked the sound of no-gui. I mean I can now redirect my console over serial and use Serial over IP. Much better then a KVM setup. You could actually do it over a 56k (or slower) modem!!

Don't like the idea of learn more commands tho lol!!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    I mean why would you put such a bloat feature on a stable OS?
    Why is everyone so against Aero?, if anything it is one of the better things that was included in Vista. It is not just for flashy graphics but it is a completly new way for the OS to render its GUI. It is finally a replacment for the aged and overburdened GDI+ that has codebase trailing all the way back to Windows 3.1. It finally provides a window system that can cope with a crashed window without leaving a perminant video error on the screen till the GDI module is restarted and renders each window individually so that they can be moved without lag. The old way draws the screen as a whole rather than each window and has that many limitations with stuff like threading that it makes it a joke.

For a normal server this is largely unnessisary but for a terminal server this system should be much better at handling stuff like remote applications.

Thank Post
    this system should be much better at handling stuff like remote applications.
    You reckon? Looks like it depends on the application and what you're doing with it. Scouting around the tech I found this MS docx: Remote Desktop Protocol Performance

The bit I wasn't aware of is RDP 6.x's significant "bulk compression" improvements. Possibly not that important on a nice fast LAN with a serious server etc., but a good reason for 2K8 rather than 2K3 in slower scenarios.

In other places: Remote Apps only look marginally faster across the network than Remote Desktops; And if you want remote glass et al then composition remoting uses more bandwidth unless it's IE when it's significantly less for some unfathomable reason.

it finally provides a window system that can cope with a crashed window
    Pragmatically that's definitely not my number one concern running XP, nor is the age of the code (old usually means fixed, not full of new bugs).
    Last edited by PiqueABoo; 3rd January 2009 at 02:17 AM.

richard_s
    I have to admit that that I had thought of using 2k8 instead of Vista on my laptop as I'm fed up of the slow file transfer speeds in Vista.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    Pragmatically that's definitely not my number one concern running XP, nor is the age of the code (old usually means fixed, not full of new bugs).
    Its not the fact that the code is old that makes it a problem but that the old ideas that it is based on. Stone tablets are hugely reliable and very well proven but for some tasks they are simply not capible of providing the functionality that is demanded in 2009.

You are right about the increased compression it is almost as good as the Citrix variety for bandwidth usage in the right situations.

Thank Post
    they are simply not capible of providing the functionality that is demanded in 2009
    But what is that required functionality and who is demanding it?

That's a sincere question because I genuinely don't know. From where I'm sitting all this window-updating-buffer-not screen thing does right now is give the OS an opportunity to make some eye-candy. But the raison d'etre for any OS is to run applications - the bits where you get some real work done - how are they going to benefit? Will anyone get that real work done any quicker?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    But what is that required functionality and who is demanding it?

That's a sincere question because I genuinely don't know. From where I'm sitting all this window-updating-buffer-not screen thing does right now is give the OS an opportunity to make some eye-candy. But the raison d'etre for any OS is to run applications - the bits where you get some real work done - how are they going to benefit? Will anyone get that real work done any quicker?
    Massivly higher resolution displays can and do make font scaleing a problem, being vector based vista can compensate easily. Sure you could do it with font sizes but those never applied system wide in XP. More usage of video and other embedded high frame rate content are handled much better when multi tasking is being used properly. Programmers do not have to waste stupid amounts of time to hack a solution if they want an odd shaped window and they can actually overlap playing videos without a full screen redraw. Each process can actually have more than the single GUI thread allocated to it so that creative coding does not have to be employed to beat GDI+ into partial submission.

If you really want real work to be done you should probably be in the console of a linux box anyway. Using a computer now is not just about real work, as they are being used more and more for entertainment the flashy eye candyish ability to easily and seamlessly handle media content do become important.

I use Aero on my media center box and would miss the fluidity that it provides if it was not there. Its attached to a TV, it should have the ability to look a little flashy otherwise it is just another relic from the age when computers were solely buisness tools for shuffeling large amounts of money about at speed.

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=486506
    http://blog.libertech.net/blogs/lket...-persists.aspx
    Last edited by SYNACK; 4th January 2009 at 01:08 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12