+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 Thread, Hyper-V Networking Problem in Technical; I have bought a new Server running 2008 enterprise with Hyper V but I cannot get my virtual machine (server ...

Thank Post

Hyper-V Networking Problem

I have bought a new Server running 2008 enterprise with Hyper V but I cannot get my virtual machine (server 2003) to connect to my real network. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how to get my virtual machine to talk to the real network? I want to create a print server to start with before committing to a Virtual DC. The machine is so fast running this operating system with twin Quad Core Processors and 4 Gb RAM. I bought it because I want to use it as a multimedia streaming server but I have to completely re-learn this because the terminology used on Server 2008 is totally different to that used on Server 2003.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantech View Post
    I have bought a new Server running 2008 enterprise with Hyper V but I cannot get my virtual machine (server 2003) to connect to my real network. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how to get my virtual machine to talk to the real network? I want to create a print server to start with before committing to a Virtual DC. The machine is so fast running this operating system with twin Quad Core Processors and 4 Gb RAM. I bought it because I want to use it as a multimedia streaming server but I have to completely re-learn this because the terminology used on Server 2008 is totally different to that used on Server 2003.
    Have you added a network card to the settings for your hyper-v?
    When in settings click "Add Hardware" then Network Card and you should figure it out from there. Install the admin tools on your 2003 and your cooking

Thank Post
    Hope this helps:

1. Create your Virtual Network in Virtual Network Manager - this lets you add your real physical NIC to the virtual world.

2. Go to you setting for your Virtual Machine & add the NIC you created in step 1.

3. In your virtual machine window (once logged on), click Action -> Insert Integration Services Setup Disk, and install it. This allows you to use your Virtual machine to connect to the real world.

-Ken

p.s. I believe that one of the requirements, if you're running Windows 2k3, is to have SP2 installed.
    Last edited by wagnerk; 5th November 2008 at 02:52 PM. Reason: more info

Thank Post
    Step 3 (above) is key! Even if it looks like Integration has been automatically done, do it again! I had the same problem and that fixed it!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread