+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 Thread, Chosen Wallpaper Not Displayed And Other AD Questions in Technical; We are performing a forced migration away from 2003. The solution is being developed in house and we are at ...

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 814 Posts
    Blog Entries

Chosen Wallpaper Not Displayed And Other AD Questions

We are performing a forced migration away from 2003. The solution is being developed in house and we are at a stage where some external input will be very useful.

I have attached the new Students GPO and I have three questions which probably do not impact upon each other and are only connected insofar as they all arise from Active Directory [I have edited the Active Directory report to make it more anonymous but the important values which affect the operation are unchanged]

Question 1: I would like the wallpaper I have chosen to display but it does not. This is not a problem with the settings from above this [Students] OU because when we remove the AD link and create a GPO for wallpaper only the chosen wallpaper is displayed. I think it must be another setting in this GPO which conflicts with our wallpaper setting. We have gone through many permutations: Setting Active Desktop on/off, Allow only BMP wallpapers,….

Question 2: I cannot get the ‘Map Drive’ letter at the end of this GPO to work again this was working before we put other settings in. We are using a script at the moment but it would be nice to be able to use the new capabilities of the new AD to the fullest.

Question 3: Giving the students Start Menu shortcuts introduces a ‘weakness’ I find very frustrating. It is one that is well know and has been covered on other threads but I do not recall a definitive answer being posted. Students double click a folder in the allocated Start Menu and navigate up the folder structure back to the SYSVOL/Logon Scripts/Common Folders level on the server. Has anyone prevented this from happening? If ‘yes‘ how did you do it?

Sorry this is such a long post. I am at my wits end with these issues and I am also on a tight deadline to get the new network up and running having failed to implement it in the summer.

Ideas on these questions welcome then….

Server OS: Windows server 2008 Standard: 64 Bit: Service Pack 1.
    Workstation OS: Windows XP Pro: 32 Bit: Service Pack 3.

Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by DaveP; 3rd October 2008 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Forgot to add AD report.

Thank Post
    For the "Drive Maps" in GP you have Group Policy Client Side Extensions installed?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Psymon View Post
    For the "Drive Maps" in GP you have Group Policy Client Side Extensions installed?
    Thanks for that but it says on the Microsoft website: "...Note This package is not currently offered to clients that are running Windows XP Service Pack 3..."

Source: Link

And as I said in my original post we ARE running XP SP3. Am I missing something?
    Last edited by DaveP; 3rd October 2008 at 07:44 PM.

Thank Post
    I dont think tou will be able to map drives using the Group Policy extensions unless you are running vista then (which i am, and the GP's work). This also applies to the registry, shortcuts etc... options under preferences.

edit - it sais XP Professional, im not sure now :S
    Edi2 - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Make sure you have that installed. Should map drives, shortcuts etc..
    Last edited by Psymon; 3rd October 2008 at 02:05 PM.

Thank Post
    but it says on the Microsoft website
    Yes but MS documentation is MS documentation and it has a magic word: "offered"

Windows Updates "offers" patches and updates. That line almost certainly refers to the CSE not being in the list when an XP SP3 goes to Windows Updates. That is not the same as "doesn't work on SP3" - just install the pre-reqs and the CSE on one and see what happens..

[Would have tried that myself by now were it not for SP3 and SIMS]

Thank Post
    Tried it anyway on my virtual lab bench and it worked fine - just had it adding a few drive and printer mappings via preferences which all have targeting rules (user groups, sites, OU etc.)

You don't need that xmllite patch on XP SP3, just the CSE (KB943729).

Thank Post
    I read somewhere a few days ago that SP3 for XP can in certain circumstances break GPO mapped drives. Not sure how much truth there was in it and I can't recall where I read it.

We had a new sony laptop last week that wouldn't get its mapped drives (all pushed through various GP's). Tried all manner of things, one drive did appear but with the wrong drive letter!?! Got it onto Windows Update, did everything (except SP3, we haven't yet rolled it out) and now it all works fine.

As for the Start menu problem, I know your pain but I implemented it slightly differently that minimises the problem. Set up a server share on your DC just for start menus and re-jig your GP to reflect the new location.

We have all start menus in folders of a share. Each room has particualr start menu so the structure is:

\\server\sm$\Room1
    \\server\sm$\Room2

etc

The share is sm$ so it should be hiiden from a casual browse of the network.

The worst a user can do if they traverse back up the tree is to see a list of rooms. They can go into those folders and see the shortcut in them but they will only work if the software is installed for that room.

A quick note about wallpapers. Try using a GP to push the Wallpaper file onto the workstation and set the wallpaper property in the GP to use the local location at the workstation. If you try to reference a network location for the image, it doesn't always succeed.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi Richie,

Thanks for the full reply and thanks to PiqueABoo and Psymon for your earlier replies. I am now away from work and I hope you are too [It HAS gone 9:00 in the evening!] I will be trying suggestions listed here next week. Thanks again.

Thank Post
    I don't think my better half would be too chuffed if I were still at work at this time on a friday night (although it has happened before now).

You will notice the odd typing mistake in my post which simply reflects the half bottle of red wine I had drunk (whole bottle gone now )

Have a good weekend!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Richie View Post
    ...As for the Start menu problem, I know your pain but I implemented it slightly differently that minimises the problem. Set up a server share on your DC just for start menus and re-jig your GP to reflect the new location.

We have all start menus in folders of a share. Each room has particualr start menu so the structure is:

\\server\sm$\Room1
    \\server\sm$\Room2
    I should have said on the Start

Menu/Desktop/AppData/Documents/Pictures/...

front I have created individual folders for each one of these entities and each one of them is shared out at the server as hidden share so that when they navigate up they go from

\\Server\Start Menu$

to

\\Server

without going through the layers of folders in between. I still find this unsatisfactory and would welcome a suggestion for improvement. But that if for next week....

Night.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread