View Poll Results: Will you be upgrading to server 2008 this summer?

Voters
87. This poll is closed
  • Yes

11 12.64%
  • No

54 62.07%
  • Maybe - Not decided

15 17.24%
  • Already Upgraded

7 8.05%
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 Thread, Will you be upgrading to server 2008 this summer? in Technical; We've just replaced our in-house servers and have Server 2008 running now - mainly so that we can get used ...

Thank Post
    We've just replaced our in-house servers and have Server 2008 running now - mainly so that we can get used to the various foibles and such before our clients start clamouring for it. Personally, I don't see much benefit from running it unless you've got Vista client machines to manage (although some of the NAC stuff could be useful).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by speckytecky View Post
    We recently purchased some CAL's through Ramesys for our upgrade to S2003interestingly from them they come as S2008 backwardly compatiable.
    That sounds about right - ours are all Server 2003 though (bought years back when we first installed) so I'd have to rebuy 2008 ones to upgrade.

Thank Post
    I'm with elsie and others... if it ain't broke... and with Vista still at least 2 years off, there's no point.. In the mean time I will be setting up a VM 2008 system on my home/office setup so I can start the learning process.

Thank Post
    I would love to upgrade this year, but we're an RM CC3 school, so kinda tied into using server 2k3 and still have server 2k on some of our boxes, although I'm going to be getting rid of those ones soon as they are getting on a bit hardware wise now. Hopefully if all goes to plan this coming year, we will be loosing RM at the end of next year, providing I can put together a viable alturnative that the school like in time for next july, which will be based around Server 2k8 for my servers, and Vista on at least some of the workstations.

Mike.

Thank Post
    nope, no over riding reason to migrate over... as other posters have similarly commented, our network is rock solid and performs well. It does everything we need it to now and has the capacity to do anything we need to do in the foreseeable future

we're even considering never deploying Vista and wait for the next release of Windows.

I think we should downgrade back to NT4 / Win98 and show the teachers how lucky they are now

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by contink View Post
    I'm with elsie and others... if it ain't broke... and with Vista still at least 2 years off, there's no point.. In the mean time I will be setting up a VM 2008 system on my home/office setup so I can start the learning process.
    A great idea for anyone. I have been running 2008 since the early betas in a VM, and Server 2008 has come a long way. It's great to be able to learn the OS in a safe environment before rolling it out some time in the future. The good thing is Microsoft release great documentation early for their operating systems and this means it is easier to start the learning process than it otherwise would be.

But yeah- get that VM running and it will do a world of good for you.

Paul

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    No reason to this year. System is stable on 2k3, not planning to add any more PCs... no point in fixing something that ain't broke (crosses fingers,toes, etc... touches wood and prays!)
    Same for us - I'd LIKE to upgrade, but I just can't justify the underlying reasons behind such a large upgrade (and with only 5 weeks too).

2K8 has a few things that would benefit us - the increased security, DFSR enhancements and RDC would be good - plus the additional GP updates too.

Just don't know quite enough about it to upgrade 9 DCs in 5 weeks and hope everything works.

Az

Thank Post
    We have a iffy network at the moment and i'm sure the servers are part of the problem. Will be upgrading some of the servers over the summer, and will help with the suite of vista pc's we'll be running come sept.

Thank Post
    We've got an Exchange 2007 upgrade this summer and have been recommended to go with Server 2008 mainly due to the fact you can't upgrade a 2k3 \ Ex2k7 box to 2008 without reinstalling Exchange

Still feels a bit early days for me but fingers crossed it works out...

The rest are staying put with 2003 for now, only thing I could see me doing is having a play with the new Terminal Services Citrix-style app manager that looked pretty nifty

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,788 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nope. The extra features etc... do look nice, but a more fundamental change is being looked at here. The ongoing cost of MS licenses is getting on my boss' nerves so we are investigating non-windows options too.

Thank Post
    Whilst Server 2008 certainly looks exciting and feature-packed we are not quite ready to move to it just yet.

We bought a new server with a new license, this was Server 2008 but we used the downgrade rights to install Server 2003, which we standardise on.

If there is one thing that will swing it for us with Server 2008, that is Hyper-V. We have two old servers, they do small roles and could easily be amalgamated between our existing servers using Hyper-V virtual machines (so long as we upgrade those physical servers to 16GB of RAM each!)

However, we won't be ready probably until next summer at the earliest to make the move, if we do it that is.

Thank Post

Not just yet

As we haven't rolled out Vista to the whole school yet. Tried a few but Group Policy was very intermittent/hit and miss with Vista. Will try and run W2k8 in a test environment for six months before unleashing it on the lovely little monsters....and the students!!!

We have 14 servers running 2k3 handsomely at present as well as one on xserve and three on linux...will revisit later in the year
    Last edited by ctbjs; 14th July 2008 at 08:55 PM.

Thank Post
    I had intended to roll out a couple of server 2008 installations until I realised that I would have to buy all of the device CALs again. 500+ of them at 6 each makes it a very expensive exercise.

Typical MS! Now I'm staying with 2003 until a) they change the licensing to allow 2003 CALS or b) BSF pushes me out of a job anyway!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-Greatermanchester View Post
    A few reasons, we have one or two machines with Vista so we would like to lock them down. We can cut down allot of ours scripts with the extra functionally of server 2008. Also a little experience with 2008 and we are having a few problems with a domain controller (wont contact the parent domain) so thinking of upgrading while it is being fixed.
    Is this really a good reason to upgrade your domain?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flashsnaps View Post
    We won't be, everything is running smoothly ...

We just don't feel a need for it.
    Same here. Just no need to upgrade. Would be nice, but that's all. Couldn't justify the cost of software and CALs.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast