+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 Thread, Write but not view folder permissions, strange request in Technical; Hi All I have set up a shared folder called ICt , it is a mapped network drive. With two ...
    Thank Post

Lightbulb Write but not view folder permissions, strange request

Hi All

I have set up a shared folder called ICt, it is a mapped network drive. With two sub folders called the names of the ICT teachers. I was wondering if it was possible to give children permission to save into the folder, but not be able to open the folder and view. So that kids could not go in and delete other kids work.

I dont know if this is possible just using windows server or wether a third party software would be needed.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    What you're trying to achieve isn't possible, as you need to open and view a folder and its contents to be able to save into it.

However, to stop pupils deleting each others work you could include the Creator Owner entry within the security tab. This should do the trick.

Thank Post
    I think it's possible with ftp (SIMS do a similar thing on their ftp setup), but I suspect Michael is correct.

HBJB
    Last edited by Heebeejeebee; 10th April 2008 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Typo

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm pretty sure this can be done with the advanced ntfs permitions on the folder as this exact setup was in use on a NT server in my old high school. Just allow the user to create files in thefolder and deny listing the contents and deleting files.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    What you're trying to achieve isn't possible, as you need to open and view a folder and its contents to be able to save into it.

However, to stop pupils deleting each others work you could include the Creator Owner entry within the security tab. This should do the trick.
    err; no!

What Alex wants is completely possible - just set the permissions to allow "write" for the users who need to write and nothing else.

You may not want to do this - for example, it's probably better to allow users to list the folder contents (eg so that they can check that they have successfully saved the file) but it's not necessary (although I think it would be sensible)

We use this technique for exam course work - it's sometimes known as a "drop folder" Google ntfs "drop folder" for more examples - even the MS support site documents how to do it!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    err; no!
    Can we see this Microsoft link then please?

Edit, after googling I found this:

Grant the Write permission for the users' group that is applied to This Folder only. (This is an option available on the Advanced page.) For more information, see Set, view, change, or remove special permissions.

If each user needs to have certain permissions to the files that he or she dropped, you can create a permission entry for the Creator Owner Security identifiers (SID) and apply it to Subfolder and files only. For example, you can grant the Read and Write permission to the Creator Owner SID on the drop folder and apply it to all subfolders and files. This grants the user who dropped or created the file (the Creator Owner) the ability to read and write to the file. The Creator Owner can then access the file through the Run command using \\ServerName\DropFolder\FileName.

Grant the Full Control permission for the group manager.
    So in practice you can, with a combination of both Write permissions and Creator Owner so we're both right. Microsoft do still recommend you allow users to view using the run command, which would make sense.
    Last edited by Michael; 10th April 2008 at 06:48 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi Guys thanks very much for all your information. I have managed using srochford's help with googling drop folders managed to get exactly how I would like. Students can drag and drop directly into their class tutors shared fodler. However saving directly from word is not looking like it will work.

Really appreciates everyones inout and help.

Thank Post
    I've set this up before and came to the same conclusion, you can copy stuff in but not save from word, because then word requiers read access..

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread