+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 Thread, No tape backup support without 3rd-party software in Technical; Having just installed Server 2008 on a test box, I'm rather annoyed to discover that in the replacement for NTBackup, ...

Thank Post

Angry No tape backup support without 3rd-party software

Having just installed Server 2008 on a test box, I'm rather annoyed to discover that in the replacement for NTBackup, Microsoft have removed support for tape backup.

Plenty of the schools I visit make use of a scripted NTBackup, using LTO2 tape drives, and the cost of buying something like Backup Exec is rather extortionate when compared to the initial server OS price.

Anyone recommend other tape backup solutions (that work with 2008)?

Stephen

Thank Post
    I have switched to Novabackup.... for Servers... a lot lot lot cheaper

3. 2 Thanks to Grommit:

diggory (17th April 2009), SteveMC (24th March 2008)

metalmonkey
    I became a victim of of that particular Microsoft decision when moving to Vista. (I use a SATA DAT tape drive at home)

Having tried many options, including... finally getting NTBackup to work on vista - only to find out (as you say) tape drive support has been dropped from Removal Storage.

The only truely reliable way I backup is using NovaBackup from NovaStore. Its not expensive when compared to the likes of Veri-ass/Symantec BackupExec but by the same token, it should only be seen as a replacement for NTBackup, not BackupExec. It's not overly powerful, but does as it says on the tin.

Having said all this - I only know by using it on Vista, not 2008 (but hey, it's only re-badged Vista anyway!!)

Hope this helps

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by metalmonkey View Post
    I became a victim of of that particular Microsoft decision when moving to Vista. (I use a SATA DAT tape drive at home)

Having tried many options, including... finally getting NTBackup to work on vista - only to find out (as you say) tape drive support has been dropped from Removal Storage.

The only truely reliable way I backup is using NovaBackup from NovaStore. Its not expensive when compared to the likes of Veri-ass/Symantec BackupExec but by the same token, it should only be seen as a replacement for NTBackup, not BackupExec. It's not overly powerful, but does as it says on the tin.

Having said all this - I only know by using it on Vista, not 2008 (but hey, it's only re-badged Vista anyway!!)

Hope this helps

SATA DAT ? didn't think you got get those, unusual that someone would use a relatviely new connection type for a legacy tape format such as DAT.

Sure you don't mean scsi ?

Thank Post
    Thanks for that - I'll bear it in mind. It looks like NovaBackup can also do encrypted backups, but it doesn't say what sort of encryption they use. I think this might become more important with all the data protection issues these days (especially with admin staff taking the SIMS server tape off-site each night).

The larger schools are mostly using BackupExec anyway, for the remote agents and all the other features, but for the schools with just one or two servers NovaStore looks good.

Stephen

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 1,263 Posts

Thumbs down

This decision is awful for Vista and Server 2008 users. I've used NTBackup for years and I cannot understand why Microsoft made this decision.

It's confirmed here

You can no longer back up to tape. (However, support of tape storage drivers is still included in Windows Server 2008.) Windows Server Backup supports backing up to external and internal disks, DVDs, and shared folders.
    It definitely seems Microsoft want you to use a third party solution, unless they're going to release a chargeable update/package to allow users to backup to tape.

Thank Post
    The only option available to Vista and Server 2008 users using NTBackup and tapes, is to restore data created with XP/2003 NTBackup.

This decision really has me puzzled. Server 2008 could easily support backup to tape. Any ideas please let me know!

Thank Post

Hope this helps
    Backup Exec. expensive ? In that case the prices of some of the other backup products on the market would give you a heart attack....
    Backup Exec is considered a reltively cheap entry level products - but that viewpoint depends on you're budget.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,596 Times in 2,014 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think it might come down to the fact that tape backup is generally being seen as a system for small scale backup. For example, small businesses and schools are moving towards disk to disk backup or online backup. This is then coupled with the thought that any business wishing to make use of tapes would spend money on complex backup systems involving tape libraries etc... so therefore would buy third party software.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    Backup Exec is considered a reltively cheap entry level products - but that viewpoint depends on you're budget.
    Indeed it does, - my viewpoint on this one is from the perspective of some of our primary schools, who are running SIMS on a server that cost around £1200, with an OS that cost them £50 (or thereabouts). To suddenly have an extra £375 stuck on for Backup Exec (with possibly another £300 or so for the SQL agent) makes it all rather more expensive.

Stephen

Thank Post
    Personally when I eventually adopt Server 2008 (in a working environment), I'd also deploy a NAS of some kind (still using NTBackup). Works out much, much cheaper.

metalmonkey
    SATA DAT ? didn't think you got get those, unusual that someone would use a relatviely new connection type for a legacy tape format such as DAT.

Sure you don't mean scsi ?
    Sata Dat drives have been around for a while. It's a HP StorageWorks device.

But it certainly isn't SCSI. Thats a swearword to me!! :P

Thank Post
    Sata Dat drives have been around for a while. It's a HP StorageWorks device.

But it certainly isn't SCSI. Thats a swearword to me!! :P
    I'll have to get me one of those.

Thank Post
    but by the same token, it should only be seen as a replacement for NTBackup, not BackupExec. It's not overly powerful, but does as it says on the tin.
    Please justify your statement ....

As Novabackup does SQl, Exchange, Open files and Disaster Recovery... So why is it not as good as Backup exec ?

http://www.novastor.com/pcbackup/backup/n_backup.html
    Last edited by Grommit; 24th March 2008 at 04:55 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,596 Times in 2,014 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The thing is, a few hundred quid for backup is *not* a lot, considering the legal implications of *not* having a backup.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast