+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 Thread, Key for 2008 appeared on Volume Licensing? in Technical; Just logged into the school's volume licensing page, and I noticed there is now a key listed for Server 2008, ...

Thank Post

Key for 2008 appeared on Volume Licensing?

Just logged into the school's volume licensing page, and I noticed there is now a key listed for Server 2008, when we havent even looked at purchasing it yet.

Is it just the case that is the key we use but we arnt actually legal until we buy licences for it?

Thank Post
    I think if you hav subscribed to Software Assurance then you are automatically allowed to use any new software that comes out - eg Office 2007, Vista and Server 2008

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Depending on your agreement you are probably simply entitled to the upgrade under your existing agreement. Software assurance will give you free upgrades for the duration of your agreement, it does for us under ours at least

Thank Post
    I got Server 2008 licenses but oddly no Exchange 2007 ones

Thank Post
    I got 2008 and Exchange 2007 too.

Think it depends on how your servers are licensed. Ours are select licenses so I am guessing we will have to buy them again before we can legally deploy said servers.

XP have SA which is presumably why we are seeing the extra license keys pop up.

Thank Post
    Just checked, same here too.

Anyone got 2008 downloads available yet?

Thank Post
    Yep, had the downloads for about a week or 2 now....

Thank Post
    Fair enough. I knew the server licences dont fall under the schools agreement (or so im told) and I didnt know how we had them licensed...guess it must be with software assurance

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    Fair enough. I knew the server licences dont fall under the schools agreement (or so im told) and I didnt know how we had them licensed...guess it must be with software assurance
    Schools agreement is software assurance, so it is licensed under that...

Thank Post
    But then our schools agreement documentation makes no mention of servers, only desktops...like we're never asked how many servers we have

Im thoroughly confused, we actually have NO info about how our servers are licensed..Im fairly sure they are but no idea how, and the NM doesnt know either.

There was I think something in place before I came for Server 2003, which must have been SA. Then our 2 main servers replaced a few years ago came with 2003 R2 Enterprise Select licences from Ramesys so instantly they are different, and as they were additions we are surely not licensed to use the SA licences on them

I think an email to MS is needed lol...to sort it all out...because I want to start upgrading as soon as Im happy with it

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    But then our schools agreement documentation makes no mention of servers, only desktops...like we're never asked how many servers we have

Im thoroughly confused, we actually have NO info about how our servers are licensed..Im fairly sure they are but no idea how, and the NM doesnt know either.

There was I think something in place before I came for Server 2003, which must have been SA. Then our 2 main servers replaced a few years ago came with 2003 R2 Enterprise Select licences from Ramesys so instantly they are different, and as they were additions we are surely not licensed to use the SA licences on them

I think an email to MS is needed lol...to sort it all out...because I want to start upgrading as soon as Im happy with it
    You have to get the servers and other products added to the core licenses. I'm not sure if you *have* to license servers with the agreement, but you can if you want.

I add exchange, isa, sharepoint, windows server in addition to the usual desktop licenses.

You can't change the number of servers mid agreement fyi, nor add additional like the desktops allow.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread