+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 Thread, Technet Roadshows 2008 in Technical; Suited & Booted it is. Sounds like a plan, the question is how will we find each other lol especially ...

Thank Post
    Suited & Booted it is.

Sounds like a plan, the question is how will we find each other lol especially as the outside world think all of us I.T guys look the same, personally I don't think there is any truth to that!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    We will find each other as we will be the only ones suited and booted

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Cargo pants, black shirt and light coloured jacket + scary hair. I'll be outside at about 08:45 just before the doors open. It's either that or miss it by an hour

Thank Post
    doesnt look like im going
    there goes my copy of ultimate

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,719 Times in 2,303 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ahunter View Post
    Im going to the Manchester one on Wednesday. Just out of shear curiosity are you absolutely sure its the full version of ultimate? I can't quite grasp the concept of Microsoft being so generous
    At the beginning of last year I 'won' a full retail copy of Vista business for answering a single question at one of their events. I could have grabbed a copy of Office 2k7 Ultimate too if I had been greedy.

As a marketing tool for them it makes sense to try and get as many tech people using it as possible and overall the actual cost to them is negligible I would fully expect them to be handing out stuff like this depending on the audience, in my experience students get betas, managers and purchasers get full product.

Thank Post
    Sounds like DB is taking the train in from that description, as for me, im "looking forward" to the prospect of 1hr in a traffic jam into Manchester Hey ho could be far worse I guess.

Thank Post
    Just got back from the Roadshow in Manchester. I found it quite informative and Server 2008 looks like its got some cool features. Now to get to the freebies bit .

I picked up Server 2008 (32 & 64 versions) Evaluation , Visual Studio 2008 (Standard Edition), SQL Server 2008 Comm Technology Preview, Windows Vista Ultimate Upgrade.

Visual Studio 2008 is the full version, Server 2008 is a 365 day full trial as is Vista Ultimate Upgrade, after this time you are required to purchase a permanent key.

Unless Microsoft have changed what freebies they are giving away, it might be worth checking that the copy of Vista Ultimate you received is in fact the full version and not the 365 trial.

I cant say im complaining tbh, the 365 day limit is still very generous.

Thank Post
    hrmphf......

Thank Post
    I've just got in and had some food, was a good day and interesting, was saying to DB that I'm glad that MS cannot even get there heads 110% clear around the software licencing, fine they near enough got there in the end but it just shows its FAR to complex! Even without factoring in the 2 / 3 schemes that schools use when buying from MS.

Also the Green / Eco-Computing debate was going on a bit too long really as well as Hyper-V, probably best they capped those when they did.

All in all a good day, and yes was worth it, I liked the Softgrid stuff, but as we don't subscribe to Software Assurance we don't have access But I can now discuss that at our end as its something we can look into for the future. Also fine I got my answer to the Tape Drive question but its not quite what a I wanted but at least there is still a MS Solution but TBH rather than buying that software, I may as well buy Veritas, Arcserve etc.

Many Thanks to DB for putting up with me throughout the day sitting next to him, it was nice to see him again, and chatting to him about Edugeek and some plans for the conference next month which sounds great and I'm looking forward to it

@ahunter, I think you missed Steve's hint with the Software, they are "365 days" Evaluations, think of them as a bit like the Technet+ Internal Use Eval Software. They are Evaluation copies but I am 99.9% confident they will still be working on day 366, licened no but Thats what his hint was, he couldnt say they are 365 day evals but don't die on day 366 as thats encouraging piracy and he'd have been murdered by the team on stage We also get a copy of SQL 2008 when it finally comes out, or at least I have in my pack, they have the preview in at present but theres a slip and you register and get the full one when launched which is good stuff.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The food was pretty poor! To be fair it was an Odeon cinema and they did their own catering (dried out rolls and crisps with pop!)
    The roadshow content was good, although they did struggle to push Vista as they resorted to the 'must have' features as being Bitlocker and the power management features.
    All in all though, one of the better ones I've beenb too and plenty of info about extra free Windows deployment tools we didn't know about.

P.S. John, I want your phone!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    The food was pretty poor! To be fair it was an Odeon cinema and they did their own catering (dried out rolls and crisps with pop!)
    True, will agree on that and if I'd have had a feedback form (or was that coming on email to us as im still not in my work email - blasted children locking me out) It will be commented on, 1 sandwich only limt, eer they were not that big really and a bag of crisps, thats even less than the kitchens at work send out for kids packlunches on school trips!

Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    P.S. John, I want your phone!
    heh, it is good, shame i couldn't get my OWA working on it though as that really is nice on it, but as I said the pushmail works fine on it from my Exchange Box and it browses the web nicely

To help you out:

HP iPAQ 514 Voice Messenger Small & Medium Business is the HP Page on it, I'm sure with your buying power you can get it brand new for £100 notes if that. Just order a load of HP PCs or something and demand one, for HP to get an order for a load of PCs or Laptops surely chucking a Smart Phone that retails at just over £100 in ain't going to be a major worry to them!

Or for the bargin savers option - HP iPAQ 514, PDA Accessories, Mobile Phone Cases Pouches, Mobile Phones items at low prices on eBay.co.uk

Thank Post
    I think I did miss Steve's hint about the eval's, was probably half asleep!

Your right about the food though pretty poor, I ask myself why were sandwiches rationed but not crisps! certainly not promoting the green part of eating

I didn't see the slip about sql 2008 though, mind you I haven't really looked through properly. Just out of interest DB were you wearing what you said you were going to? I was looking out for someone with "scary" hair all day but no joy

Thank Post
    He was indeed, he had the light coloured jacket as he said he would have on. When I saw him when I arrived at about 9am, we floated around the top of the escalator chatting about Edugeek, BETT and other Edu-IT stuff until we were ushed in by the MS Staff into the start, and from that point our seats were on the end of Row H I was the end seat next to the stairs (we were on the edge on the masssssssive block in the middle as you looked from the floor up on that left edge so not in the litle section, but next to it) with DB next to me. His hair, IMHO, wasn't scary.

If it helps you at all, I had, when I had it on, a Red and Black outdoor jacket and then was in black suit, black shirt and trousers with red tie when I didn't have the outdoor coat on. I was the person who asked the questions about Backup Tape support in 2008, Backing up Core Server and told them the answer to the ISA in Small Business Server (from the school with the great name )

Thank Post
    *cough* Silly name *cough*

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I had a look around and I did (ladys notwithstanding) have the longest hair there.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast