+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 Thread, Switching between Wi-FI and LAN: "there are currently no logon servers available to" in Technical; We new have 3 Dell Optiplex 3030s All in ones with Windows 7. Our server is Windows 2008 R2. All ...

Thank Post

Question Switching between Wi-FI and LAN: "there are currently no logon servers available to"

We new have 3 Dell Optiplex 3030s All in ones with Windows 7. Our server is Windows 2008 R2. All 3 PCs have joined the domain.

I set up all the PCs on the LAN. I then moved them to our new school office. I had to put all 3 PCs on Wi-FI as the wall ports were in an unreachable place. Two of the PCs worked fine but one said, "there are currently no logon servers available to process your logon request".

Today the builders moved the wall ports to nearer the PCs. So now all there are on the network. Now the 2 ex Wi-FI pcs now say "there are currently no logon servers available to process your logon request" while the 1 pc that was not working now is!

For now I've put the 2 ex Wi-FI PC back on to Wi-FI and they are still working. We really need all 3 on the LAN.

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    Have you logged in locally to the computer to check it's getting an ip address?

Thank Post
    There are not getting an IP address when I log in locally when on the LAN.

They ARE getting an IP address when I log in locally when on Wi-FI but NOT when I login with a domain based user.

I need to check all that though as it's all been a bit weird!

I was wondering if I should switch off all the network switches and reboot the server?

Thank Post
    Try reinstalling the drivers.

Have you disabled wireless card and leave the lan on?

Thank Post
    I didn't disable to Wi-Fi card but did switch it off in the Intel Wire Pro software. I clicked on the icon in the taskbar and selected Off.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zx2012 View Post
    There are not getting an IP address when I log in locally when on the LAN.

They ARE getting an IP address when I log in locally when on Wi-FI but NOT when I login with a domain based user.

I need to check all that though as it's all been a bit weird!

I was wondering if I should switch off all the network switches and reboot the server?
    Are you using a managed wireless with radius? PEAP with user and computer auth set up wrong can give odd results like the above.

Thank Post
    No we're using WPA with a shared key. The thing is we don't want Wi-FI we want them all back on the LAN. What causes "there are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request" Is there an event log to look out for?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zx2012 View Post
    No we're using WPA with a shared key. The thing is we don't want Wi-FI we want them all back on the LAN. What causes "there are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request" Is there an event log to look out for?
    That literally means that it cannot communicate with the domain controller to validate the user credentials you have supplied.

Get some cached credentials on the client and the logon and do some tests ie can you ping the domain controller over the wire, does it resolve through DNS. Can you ping the domain name (it should resolve to the list of domain controllers on your network)

Thank Post
    look at the switch! (log files/ run ter mon if its a cisco) would maybe help you to see what is going on.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread