+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 Thread, Cannot get IE Proxy Settings to Deploy to Clients - PLEASE HELP!! in Technical; ...

Thank Post

Unhappy Cannot get IE Proxy Settings to Deploy to Clients - PLEASE HELP!!

Hi Everyone
    Iím a noobie here and have recently been asked to build anew server for a local primary school and install Windows 7 pro on all thelaptops.

The laptops are all up to date and are running IE 11,which Iíve subsequently read causes a few headaches with GPís.

Iíve hit a problem and Iím really hoping someone can helpme out!! Iím putting as much info as I can here (sorry!) to give you all asaccurate a picture as I can.

Server is 2008 R2 standard edition, fully patched andup-to-date. Group Policy controls everything and the lockdowns are not overlystrict (yet!).

File Sharing and Drive Mapping is all setup and workingfine
    Print server is also fine, including pushing out drivers,boxes and IDís etc
    DNS server is fine
    DHCP server is fine etc, etc, etc.

The problem is with one aspect of Group Policy, in thatthe client machine will steadfastly refuse to pick up Internet Explorersettings, in particular the poxy ProxySettings

Please can anyone help me with a script or workaroundthat could help me before school starts on Tuesday?! I have tried as manythings as I can think of and have found online but coming up with zippo.

I tried GPPunder each User Group (Staff and Pupils) using the Internet Explorer policyitem there; it would only allow IE8,which seemed odd, but I tried it anyway, without success and also tried tickingthe ĎUser policy context (?)í box Ė didnít help. Then ticked the ĎTargeted Items(?)í box and added the Pupils group Ė didnít help. All the above also tried onthe Staff Policy without success.

The Internet Settings GP is a separate policy, in that itis in the root of the policies folder (where the Default Policies are) to avoidtoo much confusion having it lumped in with other settings.

I have tried rolling back (removing) the IE 11 Ďupdateí froma sample laptop, which didnít work.
    Iíve also tried setting the proxy via:
    UserConfig
    WindowsSettings
    InternetExplorer Maintenance
    Connections
    ProxySettings \ leaving out gopher and socks
    And also
    UserConfig
    AdministrativeTemplates
    WindowsComponents
    InternetExplorer \ Disable caching of Auto-Proxy scripts: ENABLED
    \ Disable changing Automatic Configurationsettings: ENABLED

After which I run Ďgpupdate.exe /forceí and shut down alllaptops, rebooted the server and left it all alone overnight to see what effectit had today, which was NONE! L

Iím now totally and royally stuffed Ė can anyone pleasehelp? Thanks (TIA) Russ

Thank Post
    I add them by using a gpp that pushes custom registry settings containing my proxy details. There's a thread on here that I copied the reg settings from. Works okay here.

3. Thanks to Jasbo from:

greenbanana1 (19th April 2014)

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,306 Times in 895 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We saw a similar problem with our users when we deployed IE 10 to a single room. We found that any user who had not used IE 9 at other stations on the network could not use IE 10 in that one room. However users who had used IE 9 previously were unaffected.

We surmised that our IE 9 Group Policy does not work for new users trying to use IE 10 [Our users have roaming profiles (both students and staff)] We are adding an IE 10 GPO early next week.

Hopefully this will eliminate this problem and might be helpful to you in your situation?

DaveP.

Thank Post
    I tryed to push it using gpo but ended up applying the reg patch manualy as an admin and it works ok. I tryed the gpo to push the reg setting but it was easier and quicker to just do it manualy. I am still looking at the gpo though :-)

6. Thanks to ZeroNeg from:

Thank Post
    The internet explorer maintenance bit of GP doesn't work with IE 10 and above. To set proxy for these you will need to use Group policy preferences. You will only be able to create an IE 10 template from GPMC on a windows 8 or 2012 machine. The IE 10 template also works for 11

Nick

Thank Post
    You need to use gpp but you must use rsat from a win8.1/server 2012 box.

Thank Post
    You can also modify the IE8 GPP so that it works with IE10 and IE11. We do this and it works fine, meaning we can manage it from Server 2008 R2.

10. Thanks to 3s-gtech from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    You can also modify the IE8 GPP so that it works with IE10 and IE11. We do this and it works fine, meaning we can manage it from Server 2008 R2.
    Thanks for your replies so far folks. It's much appreciated.

3s_gtech, how did you modify the IE8 GPP template, please? This sounds like a potential winner! I can connect to the server remotely but won't know if the mod works until it's scarily close to them being needed......oo-er.

ZeroNeg, where would I find reg patch you mention, please? This could well be an great 'plan B'

Jasbo, can you point me to thread you mentioned, please?

Cheers, one and all!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,734 Times in 2,015 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greenbanana1 View Post
    how did you modify the IE8 GPP template, please?
    The method described below is what most people use...

Set the 'max' version number to "99.0.0.0" and you won't have to worry about it for a while.
    Last edited by Arthur; 19th April 2014 at 06:42 PM.

13. 3 Thanks to Arthur:

3s-gtech (21st April 2014), buzzard (19th April 2014), greenbanana1 (21st April 2014)

Thank Post
    I exported the reg settings from a vm that was not on the network that had the settings inputed manualy. Then just oatched them. I an gona look at the other methods above though as my way was fix it asap. :-)

Thank Post
    As @Arthur said, I used the xml mod method. This is not supported by MS, but I have yet to see anyone have an issue with it. I do also have 2012 R2 DCs so can test on those too - may be a good idea to build one on a VM if licensing allows.

16. Thanks to 3s-gtech from:

greenbanana1 (21st April 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    As @Arthur said, I used the xml mod method. This is not supported by MS, but I have yet to see anyone have an issue with it. I do also have 2012 R2 DCs so can test on those too - may be a good idea to build one on a VM if licensing allows.
    Thanks very much everyone for your replies, tips and tricks. Problem is now SORTED.

I used the method suggested by 3s-gtech (you're a star!) remotely last night. Got the chance to get into the school today, fired up a random laptop and bingo! Homepage and proxy settings working like a charm grabbed a dozen or so laptops at random and all picking up internet nicely.

I'm very relieved, very happy and very grateful.

THANKS! Russ.....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread