+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 Thread, Spooler Subsystem App Stopped Working in Technical; Hi folks, read a few similar topics through Google, and also one HERE which all refer to the same issue ...

Thank Post

Spooler Subsystem App Stopped Working

Hi folks, read a few similar topics through Google, and also one HERE which all refer to the same issue on desktop machines, where it seems bad enough, but this is happening on my one-and-only server here and it's going to be absolutely mad to bin all the drivers and then reinstall.

Has anyone seen this before or am I just doomed to a late night binning and reinstalling all the print drivers?? :/

Thanks for any help.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 753 Posts
    @Miscbrah:

What printers do you have?

Just need to verify something first before I go ahead with advice,

3. Thanks to bossman from:

Miscbrah (4th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Hi, I've got some HP OfficeJet 6000n, Brother HL-4570cdw and Brother HL-5250dn printers.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Been having that a bit recently myself.
    For us its one of two things

1) Print driver had become corrupt so can be solved by a reinstall. The server event logs can tell you what file is misbehaving and sometimes you can just replace the bad file.
    2) Something weird is in the print queue, clear it manually and restart the spooler service on the server.

You can prevent one printer taking down the whole server by setting the print drivers to isolation mode, worked great for us until we got PaperCut which requires you to turn off isolation

6. Thanks to sparkeh from:

Miscbrah (4th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Sparkeh thanks for that, I'll give that isolation a try. We have PaperCut here (I say 'we' this is an emergency callout and not my regular network) but it's poorly implemented and to be honest people would rather just get printing now I think than relish in its feature-rich confusion. Is there an easy way to just stop PaperCut network-wide from doing or interfering with anything, and then set the printers into isolation mode?

Thanks again.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hmm not sure if there is a quick way to take PC out of the loop. I'll have a look in the morning.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,697 Times in 2,287 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscbrah View Post
    Sparkeh thanks for that, I'll give that isolation a try. We have PaperCut here (I say 'we' this is an emergency callout and not my regular network) but it's poorly implemented and to be honest people would rather just get printing now I think than relish in its feature-rich confusion. Is there an easy way to just stop PaperCut network-wide from doing or interfering with anything, and then set the printers into isolation mode?

Thanks again.
    Maybe this Chapter7.Advanced Printer Management

10. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Miscbrah (5th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Hmmm, it may be more complex yet simpler than I thought.

Right, the logs say the photocopier (shared as network printer) is doing the dirty with regards to crashing the spooler BUT now a shared printer (shared twice as different printers, one for b/w and one for colour jobs. Appears as two devices under Devices and Printers on server and on clients. Got that one? No? Good! lol) is doing the same thing to the poor server's spooler (well, both shares are.)

What FURTHER complicates the issue is that at some point in the past some of the clients on the network have had these printers added as local printers on an IP address rather than shared on the server which has been maddening. Like I mentioned I'm on an emergency bailout visit and this isn't my network.

What FURTHER FURTHER complicated things was people reporting on some newly-imaged Win7 machines "my printer isn't working" when what they ACTUALLY meant was "my printer prompts me for a username and password" so Point and Print restrictions still on default. ARGH!

With all that in mind, some people who have these printers mapped on server shares are still able to print. I'm going to do the follwing (for the sake of anyone helping me out or anyone googling this in the future

- Remove Advanced Printing Features from each of the troublesome printers, manually restarting the print spooler each time it falls over. This I believe spools jobs on the clients.
    - If no joy, bin the two (three) troublesome ones and the drivers, then reinstall and re-share. Can rename shares if I need as they're mapped through a script.

Anyone feeling me on those two?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Printer drivers are the devil, make sure you have the latest as bad drivers will kill the spooler all the time, use generics if you have to and can get away with it, this is where I actually liked the HP universal ones as they were stable - Minolta are the opposite btw. Old drivers also can try installing as type one non-isolatable ones too where as the newer ones are usually at least type three.

Schedule a task if you have to cycle the spooler every hour or so - you'll need to kill then restart papercut services first in the task otherwise it won't work. We had to do this for six months thanks to leaking memory from Brother drivers.

Also look at removing old or uneeded drivers from the server because despite the fact they are supposed to be separate they can interfere with each other - Ricoh drivers had this habit.

13. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Thank Post
    Cheers, okay NEXT thing going nuts is the UAC in Server 2008 (non-R2). Think I'll open a separate thread for that...

Thank Post
    Hmmm this is still crashing the spooler. All the troublesome drivers deleted from the drivers section of the print management. Had to keep BATTERING the spooler with restarts each time so it held up long enough to delete the drivers. I couldn't remove the driver packages through the options though as the spooler simply wouldn't stay up long enough to do so.

Can anyone help me out even now? Still have a few printers left in there but the spooler's falling over every few seconds.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ok, you can go nuclear by deleting the printers from the registry: HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Pri nters

17. Thanks to sparkeh from:

Thank Post
    Ta Sparkeh. They're not there under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Printers anymore. Just the ones I've got left that previously were no trouble and a couple that aren't named/appearing under Print Management with "CSR|" infront of them.

Spooler still craps out every few seconds.

Bounce in order? Anything else good to do? I'd be so stuck - thanks folks for all the help.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Check for custom print providers and ports in that same area of the reg, had a mimaki cutter that used to shred the spooler on start thanks to dodgyness in one of those, back up the key first of course.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 5th November 2013 at 12:48 PM.

20. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Thank Post
    Ta Synack. You might have to spell that out for me a bit, not too sure what I'd be looking for in there.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast