+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 Thread, Hyper-V VLAN Tagging - 2 or more VM's (Server 2008) in Technical; Hi guys, Looking for some advice for VLAN tagging in Hyper-V in Server 2008. I'm looking to to purchase more ...

Thank Post

Hyper-V VLAN Tagging - 2 or more VM's (Server 2008)

Hi guys,

Looking for some advice for VLAN tagging in Hyper-V in Server 2008. I'm looking to to purchase more RAM for our HP DL180 G6 base level server - At the moment it's running on it's shipped hardware (6GB RAM).

Anyway at the moment it's running one VM, and want to create more VM's with more RAM.

My question is with regards to VLAN tagging on the virtual switch for VM's? The current setup is a virtual switch is created from the physical NIC, and then when creating VM's we attach the 'Virtual Switch' to the VM.

When I create more VM's, do I have to specify VLAN tagging for each VM in the settings option for the virtual switch? Just to confirm these VM's will be on the same IP subnet.

Just to make sure I don't hinder performance between the VM's and their resources.

Thanks.
    Mo

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi Mo,

If they are on the same subnet, there may be little value in VLANing the two VM's.

If you are after controlling the resources of the physical network card, you will be better off upgrading to Server 2012/2012R2 as this has tools that can control the bandwidth available to each VM (see here)

Thank Post
    Hi,

Yeah they'll be on the same subnet as well as the host as well (same subnet). The host just got the Hyper-V role installed and then VM's taking hardware resources (storage and RAM). One VM currently is our BlackBerry server and the one I intend to roll out as a VM is a 'Management Server' where I want to migrate some resources to this VM.

The resources I'm thinking about is WDS, WSUS, Symantec Protection Suite for starters - with the additional RAM I'm going to purchase I should have enough to support this. As we have 100 clients maximum, is there any need configuration changes on the physical NIC or on Hyper-V Manager? I know network performance is critical here and maybe the management server needs slightly more priority than the BlackBerry Server.

Thanks a lot.
    Mo

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread